Sunday, October 18, 2009

Growing Up

As Kids Grow...

You shall teach [God’s Word] to your children . . . when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. —Deut. 11:19


I love children, but I've been thinking about kids much too much lately. The other night at my birthday party, a new friend unassumingly began talking about how the age of the average PhD student is around 27, and they finish when they're 30 or 31, and then they need to get married, get a job, start a family. Little did she know that this birthday girl had just turn 27, is contemplating a PhD and concerned with those very issues.

The thing is that if God blesses me with kids of my own someday, I want to be a good mother, because I think it's really so important. I have some great mothers to look at as examples- Marisa, Lisa, my own mom, and Chrissy- even though she's just begun I can see all the love in her eyes! Kids take up a lot of time and a lot of money and a lot of effort teaching them the most important things... the word of the Lord. I talked to my parents just the other day about how I grew up largely not even realizing that it was different that my faith was so important to me. I grew up always going to church during the week for bible study and choir practice, participating in service events on Saturdays, always there for Sunday School and Church. I always call it my church family, because it really is like an extended family to me.

Well, I guess sometimes I wonder if it's selfish of me to want to do a PhD, if I should be saving for kids that I might either have or adopt someday. But, this verse does remind me that is not the most important thing. While I will need to be financially prepared before I have kids (some 5-6 years down the road or so), it's even more important to store up those treasures in heaven so that I can not only give my children the financial stability they need but also the faith stability they need.

As I Grow...

With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith.
12We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12

It's hard to read these verses right now, because I did feel that God was calling me into ministry, but right now I'm just not sure. Where do you want me, God? Yesterday I asked Dad if he thought this difference might be God's way of saying 'not right now.' Maybe He makes himself known to me sometimes to assure me that He wants to use me, but that right now might not be the time. Because I really do want to be worthy of His calling... so He might fulfill His good purpose through me, through my faith. Use me, Father... let me know what You would have me do... and when... and how. I am willing and I am obedient to You. Help me to have faith, because like my brother Jerry said, "Katie will always have a ministry." Help me always to seek it out and fulfill it every day.

No comments: