Thursday, October 22, 2009

If You Look for the Good...

You Will Surely Find it.

In God's Way
Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way. —Psalm 119:37

When people tell me they have no time to pray or to read the Bible each day, I'm tempted to ask them how much time they spend doing other things: running, watching tv, talking with people, surfing the internet, writing emails, etc. All these things that we chase after (and yes, I am very guilty of this) are worthless. Like the old hymn, I pray to "fix my eyes upon Jesus" so that "the things of earth may grow strangely dim."

In God's Works
12 For this is what the LORD says:

"I will extend peace to her like a river,
and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream;
you will nurse and be carried on her arm
and dandled on her knees.

13 As a mother comforts her child,
so will I comfort you;
and you will be comforted over Jerusalem."

14 When you see this, your heart will rejoice
and you will flourish like grass;
the hand of the LORD will be made known to his servants,
but his fury will be shown to his foes. -Isaiah 66:12-14

We have seen the beauty of what the Lord has done for us. I have seen Him come to comfort me and teach me. I love the image of a mother comforting her child. This is one of the few texts which likens our God to a mother. Usually talked about "our Father who art in heaven," I admit I wonder how much that might be derived from a language miscommunication. Many languages have the single neutral form parents as going to the word 'padre'... which means both Father and Mother. For me, thinking of God as both Father and Mother of all creation reminds me of His majesty... reminding me that God isn't simply a human form but so much more... so much greater than I could imagine.

In God's Word
1
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

8I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.

9I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety. -1 Timothy 2:1-3, 8-15

While I usually gloss over this difficult parts of scripture, I was struck by this Word this morning... remembering the context it comes from. I don't think we can read this letter without recognizing that it is a letter. A letter is addressed to someone for a specific reason. And here, verses 1-3 state the reason as being to solve a problem and restore peace to the area. The recommendations following it then are simple instructions meant regarding that certain area.

About the dress code, I remember how things were in the DR this summer. People there would see a girl in modest not tight jeans/pants and think it made them extremely attractive... which a Dominican woman in a tight short skirt did not attract any attention at all. It's all based on the society and what has been deemed attractive or appropriate. While here in the states, it might be exactly the opposite. That further suggests to me that Paul is talking to specific things that are happening in this circumstance.

About the submission, it's toomuch to go into here. Read "I Suffer Not a Woman" if you're interested in alternative readings to this passage.

No comments: