Friday, October 2, 2009

Let Your Life Sing...

Sing in Community

Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord. —Ephesians 5:19

This verse reminds me of my dear friend Kammy who came to our COB Young Adult Conference last year. When asked what she thought about it, she said, "You're a very sing-y group." It's true. We'd spend free time doing a special hymn sing. Our fun talent show night was mostly made up of musical acts. And we'd have worship 3 times a day with lovely songs... in at least 3 part harmony, of course.

I miss the days at Juniata where my friends would just sit around- taking song requests and singing together... and singing to the Lord. So wonderful, so simple, so completely for Him. But there's something else that strikes me about this verse- "speaking to one another..." We should learn to sing what we have to say, so that what we have to say may be a sweet melody to God. Lord, teach me to make my words (as I speak to others) a sweet melody that reflects my heart for You.

Sing in Response

7
All the lands are at rest and at peace;
they break into singing. -Isaiah 14:7

It's hard to imagine what it must've been like- to be living in slavery and bondage... to be waiting for freedom from their enemies. And to hear a promise like this for the future... about lands being a rest and breaking into singing. Actually, it's not so foreign to the world today. It's just that we conduct our 'business of war' in far off places where we can't see the fear and distress inflicted upon so many. But Lord, this morning, I do pray that all people may feel Your peace... that we may recognize that we are all brothers and sisters who can break into singing together, singing a song of peace and unity and Your love that binds us all together.

Sing in Actions

8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10and find out what pleases the Lord. -Ephesians 5:8

All of these verses remind me of the song, "How Can I Keep from Singing," but especially this verse. I am convinced that when we "let our life sing," we need to not only sing with the 'semi-perfect pitch' we've acquired, but also with the notes we weave into our comings and goings and doings. As children of the light, we must learn what pleases the Lord and sing those songs... of goodness, righteousness and truth. Lord, teach me those melodies and help me to play them each day- joyfully and wholly for Your honor.

No comments: