Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Stay Focused! - Avoiding Distractions

Focus on Jesus

Martha was distracted with much serving. —Luke 10:40

I reread this familiar story this morning, and ODB pointed out this verse. It struck me this morning. The problem wasn't that Martha was serving, which is something essentially good. The problem is that Martha was distracted by the serving. We have here a classic case of 'not seeing the forest for the trees.' Martha 'couldn't see Jesus for the serving.' Instead of focusing on her Lord, she was focused on the perfect cut of meat and most delicious bread and beautiful tablescape. Had she forgotten that this was the guy who turned water to wine? If he wanted to, he could make a banquet fit for kings appear right there on the table! And here Martha was, running around, distracted by all her preparations.

Sometimes I'm much too much like Martha. I worry about having everything just so instead of paying attention to the beautiful blessing of being with people that are so wonderful in my life. But the thing I really have to watch out for is that all my good intentions- acts of service, prayer, study don't become something 'to do' (as Joseph put it last night). It's all about Jesus. We need to stay focused... so that it's just the opposite: We can't see the service for the Jesus.

God Focuses on Us

2 In that day—
"Sing about a fruitful vineyard:
3 I, the LORD, watch over it;
I water it continually.
I guard it day and night
so that no one may harm it. -Isaiah 27:2-3

And our example is this- a Lord who loves us so much, who is so faithful that it's absolutely indescribable. When we are fruitful (truly His), He will water us... refresh our souls, guard us day and night... not testing us beyond what we can bear, and not letting harm come to our souls. His constansy should be an example of the way that we might focus our hearts and souls and minds all on loving Him forever... that itself will make this vineyard fruitful.

Focus on Others

1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. -Phillipians 2:1-4

This morning I am feeling very challenged by these verses, because this past week I was selfish and vain. I usually make sure that I call or email all of my wonderful GCF friends who are such a blessing in my life and such a beautiful part of my Romans Bible study. But this week I was filled with selfish ambition- focusing too much on my studies perhaps or other things. If I truly had been considering others before myself, I would have been praying more and touching base with these wonderful brothers and sisters of mine. Lord, please teach me to love with Your love, so that I may be able to truly express this same love that I have for my brothers and sisters... I pray for them double this week.

It's important to know our distractions, and this week I think about what I would fill in the blanks:

Katie was distracted by much _____.

grading, studying, running...

Lord help me to see you first, to focus on You... not to be distracted by even good things. I also pray this prayer for all my brothers and sisters: Kara, Kristi, Dustin, Jorge, Kuang, Jasmine, Youngmin, Michelle, Shijie, Blake, Mike, Jess L, Jess V, Christine, Jennifer, Pacifica, Mary, Nicole, Joseph, and everyone in all of GCF.

No comments: