Saturday, October 3, 2009

Clarity in the Face of Distortion

Your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. —1 Corinthians 2:5

I found my ODB reading this morning especially meaningful, as I reflected on how we can't rely on our own wisdom and understanding because as humans, we have a distorted view of things. We 'see through a mirror dimly' and 'see only in part.' We have human-colored glasses, but God can see it all. Lord, I put my faith in Your wisdom and in Your power that surpasses everything... because when things just get to be too much I lose it. I don't know where I am or what I should be doing. Lead me, Lord, and help me to be open and listening to that leading. I need you... and I need Your wise and complete view of things to give me perspective once again.

So the LORD will make himself known to the Egyptians, and in that day they will acknowledge the LORD. They will worship with sacrifices and grain offerings; they will make vows to the LORD and keep them. -Isaiah 19:21

Lord, I pray that You make Yourself known to me, because I cannot see everything. This part of the semester is always one of the hardest for me. I remember last year. I just feel so out of balance, and I feel like I'm drowning. Lord, make Yourself known to me. Like the Egyptians, I long to see You all day every day and to follow You.

"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. -Ephesians 5:31-32

This is a part of scripture that most people (especially feminists like myself) dislike intensely. But I read it with new eyes this morning... and I hope with a less distorted view. Paul is talking about Christ and the church, when he marvels at the mystery that 'man' has left his Father and been united to his 'wife.' To me this morning, I marveled at how Jesus left his Father to be united with us. Lord Jesus, thank You for coming to us... to teach us more about Your character, more about Your ways...guide us in Your wisdom so that we may see.

No comments: