Monday, February 9, 2009

Trust in the Lord's

Presence
Exodus 29:1-30:38

"I will live with the people of Israel and be their God. And they will know that I am the Lord their God who led them out of Egypt so that I could live with them. I am the Lord their God." (Exodus 29:45-46)

A god who lives among us... oh Lord, Your goodness is too much for me to understand. That You would live here with us. And I feel Your presence all around me... as I call out in prayer, as I walk on a lovely trail looking at the amazing clouds and admire a colorful sunset. Lord I trust in the presence of Your holy spirit to guide me through each day... as I attempt to live it for You, God.

Protection
Psalm 20:6-9

"Some trust in chariots, others in horses, but we trust the Lord our God." (Psalm 20:7)

Ah the old war references. Yes, I am a pacifist, and thus very very biased on this account. But I agree with this Psalm. Our trust in wars is misplaced and illogical. It's a 'solution' that isn't really a solution to anything. It has never fixed the problem and taken years and years in some cases. Instead of thinking of an alternative way, people just keep doing the same thing over and over again- the same plan of attack. Now I know there are proper precautions in certain areas, but sometimes I feel that security systems and armored cars and large armies with nuclear weapons make us feel 'safe' quite falsely. Back at the September 11th attacks, no one could believe it. Why? Because we trusted the strong, powerful, invincible US Army to protect us from these kinds of things. This trust is misplaced, because no one is invincible except God... no one is powerful except God. Lord, let me trust in You for all things, for my protection.

Purpose
Matthew 25:1-30

"He gave... to each [servant] as much as he could handle... The master answered, 'You did well. You are a good and loyal servant. Because you were loyal with small things, I will let you care for much greater things. Come and share my joy with me.'" (Matthew 25:15, 21)

Such a beautiful verse, which I actually read in church yesterday... what a coincidence. It is a very lovely story in its entirety, but these two parts especially stood out to me this morning. God gives each of us as much as we can handle- a unique purpose designed to meet our gifts and passions and the world's need, as some would put it. And God has used my gifts in so many settings where it has just worked so beautifully, where I have felt of use- Hbg 1st, Lancaster, DR, Guatemala, Brazil. When I think back on those experiences, I know that I must follow where God leads me, as his 'good and loyal servant,' because I have felt so close to God in those times. And I trust that God will reveal His purpose for my life as it unfolds... because after each short moment of service (small things) in MSS (Ministry Summer Service) or a DR Youth Conference, God has given me the opportunity to serve in greater things... a 2 year term of service. Lord, I love these moments serving You, and I pray that You show me how to trust in You and follow Your lead, because I love these moments... serving and sharing in Your joy.

No comments: