Saturday, February 14, 2009

Love's Labor

Labor that Built the Holy Tent
Exodus 39:1-40:38

"The Israelites had done all this work just as the Lord had commanded Moses. Moses looked closely at all the work and saw they had done it just as the Lord had commanded. So Moses blessed them." (Exodus 39:42-43)

All the altars and vests and robes and tablets and tables and curtains and poles and bowls of olive oil, all of these detailed instructions were followed "just as the Lord had commanded." Moses must've been very pleased, just as God was pleased with their work... but even moreso with the loving way that they took the care to do it "just so," exactly according to God's commands. Sometimes you can always tell when something is made for you or done for you, in such a completely loving way... a simple crayon drawing or a delicious blueberry cobbler or a comforting hug just when you need it the most. I am convinced that God, "who looks at the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7), also knows and is pleased when we give and work from our love for Him. I remember the joy I felt when I graduated from college and could give my first tithe and how easy it was for me to see Jesus as I worked with friends and students and irmaos in Campo Limpo. Lord, may all my work (my studies, my teaching, my interactions with everyone everday) reflect my love for You.

Labor that Protects Us
Psalm 22:19-21

"But, Lord, don't be far away. You are my strength; hurry to help me." (Psalm 22:19)

Any parent will know that it is hard work to take care of just a couple of children- a constant daily labor that I had only a taste of when I inherited two little boys (my Mexican brothers) for three weeks (all day, every day) a few summers ago. At playtime, at mealtime, at bedtime and every other time in between, the younger the child the more protecting and supervision they needed. You can't be far away for very long. (I'm reminded of Amy who is sick along with her two adorable children, how difficult that must be... I pray for them all to feel much better soon.)

Well, Abba, our dear Father, is always nearby... and I feel that I am always crying out for help in times of struggle, for guidance in times of confusing, for comfort in times of loss. And like the most wonderful parent that He is, my Lord is my strength... and always is faithful in responding to me in some way, showing His great unfailing love for someone so small as me.

Labor that Saved Us All
Matthew 27:1-31

"So Pilate said to Jesus, 'Don't you hear them accusing you of all these things?' But Jesus said nothing in answer to Pilate, and Pilate was very surprised at this.... All the people answered, 'We and our children will be responsible for his death.'" (Matthew 27:13-14, 25)

Such a painful scene, but so important to our faith. First, Jesus' amazing truly incomprehensible love is shown in his silence. He doesn't start to make a case for himself and point out that he's done nothing wrong. Of course he hasn't... but that's not the point. Jesus did not need to face that cross. The man that performed so many miracles certainly could've avoided the cross, but out of obedience to the Father and love for every one of us, He went willingly. And this is what makes it all the more powerful.

And this second verse also stood out to me, that the people (perhaps unknowingly) recognize that they and their children are responsible for Jesus' death. We really all are, because Jesus died to save us from our own sins. What happened was our responsibility, but Jesus forgives us- not for any ordinary death but a painful and shameful death. The king of the world took on our sins in an amazing expression of love. I still cannot quite comprehend the depths of this love, but Lord Jesus I praise You for this, and I thank You for the hope that You have given to me and the extent of that loving sacrifice.

No comments: