Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Keep God's Commands

On The 7th Day
Exodus 19:1-20:26

"Remember to keep the Sabbath holy. Work and get everything done during six days each week, but the seventh day is a day of rest to honor the Lord your God." (Exodus 20:8)

This year I am really trying to keep the Sabbath holy. Out of the ten commandments, it is the one that we most easily disregard. And granted, Jesus did work on the Sabbath- performing miracles and taught those Pharisees not to be so legalistic. But, I see such a great blessing in observing this day... honoring the Lord, praying with friends, appreciating all of God's great gifts. Lord, one day is not enough to worship You, but I can at least offer that... one day each week to honor You and at the same time be blessed myself for the refreshing rest that you offer us.

It's also interesting to note that there is no record of anything on the last Sabbath of Jesus' life. While we can only speculate, it seems quite possible that at the time when so much was on the verge of happening, Jesus took a day to rest and worship.

In Mind
Proverbs 6:20-25

"My son, keep your father's commands, and don't forget your mother's teaching. Keep their words in mind forever as though you had them tied around your neck. They will guide you when you walk. They will guard you when you sleep. They will speak to you when you are awake. These commands are like a lamp; this teaching is like a light." (Proverbs 6:20-23)

This seems to allude to another commandment- honor thy mother and thy father. Honor them through keeping their commands and teachings. When I was young, I remember that my mother and father knew everything. More amazing that superheros, faster than a speeding bullet. Somehow in my adolescence, I saw that maybe my parents weren't quite the perfect superhumans I thought they were. And then, sometime during college and shortly thereafter, I came to the conclusion that somehow my parents were almost always right... they had this amazing source of knowledge and wisdom and advice that perhaps you only acquire after become parents. So, I now turn to them for advice and prayer and wisdom... just as I had in my younger years.

My parents, being human, have taught me and guided me so well. And if this is true of my parents, I know that I must turn to my heavenly Father to seek His commands and teachings... which I pray may guide my life.. walking, awake, asleep... in my mind forever.

In Order of Importance
Matthew 22:23-46

"'Teacher, which command in the law is the most important?' Jesus answered, ''Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and most important command. And the second is like the first: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the law and the writings of the prophets depend on these two commands.'" (Matthew 22:34-40)

Again, this verse can sometimes be too familiar to us to take it seriously... for the challenge that it really presents. Our love for the Lord must be greater than everything. It must be complete... heart, soul and mind. It reminds me of Luke 14:26, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters- and yes, even his own life- he cannot be my disciple." Not that we should be hating these people, but that our love for the Lord must be that great. Our love for the Lord must "trump" everything.

And the second most important- that we must love our neighbor. Again, so easy to say but so hard to do... to watch out for the good of another, pay attention to needs and wants and desires and concerns and joys... to truly love someone is not easy, but it is such a blessing... a blessing for the one who is doing the loving. Last night we talked about feet washing... a passage I've read several times a year every year, and every time I read it, it is more meaningful me. Perhaps one of the most meaningful experiences with feet washing was last year at my friend Carol's wedding when she and Jason washed each other's feet as a part of the service. So meaningful and beautiful, and I am sure that they continue to daily 'wash each other's feet' ... living out this second greatest commandment.

Lord, may I live and love this way... following all these commands that You have given to me... because they are so good. You are so good, my God.

No comments: