Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Guard Against

Impatience
Exodus 31:1-32:35

"The people saw that a long time had passed and Moses had not come down from the mountain. So they gathered around Aaron and said, 'Moses led us out of Egypt, but we don't know what has happened to him. Make us gods who will lead us.'" (Exodus 32:1)

We live in a culture that searches for immediate gratification... everything right now. But this problem isn't so recent. It seems that people have always had trouble waiting, practicing patience. In this verse, the Israelites "saw that a long time had passed." We don't know how long a long time is, but they were tired of waiting. They wanted an answer, a leader right now. These troubles resulted from their impatience, their lack of willingness to wait for Moses to come back down to them. Lord, sometimes I am impatient. I want to know now what You will is for my life, where You would use me. Teach me to wait patiently... knowing that You have plans for me and You will make them known in Your time.

Doubt
Psalm 21:1-7

"The king truly trusts the Lord. Because God Most High always loves him, he will not be overwhelmed." (Psalm 21:7)

Sunday in church the pastor spoke of one of those all too terrible events, the one that you hope never to touch your family, or anyone's family. A death of someone too young. And again, I was flooded with sadness and pain as I couldn't help but remember the agony of losing my cousin, over a year and a half ago now. It's so strange how all of the pain seems so close and real, despite the passage of time. And I remember those very dark days when I wondered how I could trust in a God who would let such things happen to my cousin, to the whole family. At times, it seemed so much more than I could bare. But, God forgave me my moments of doubt, and I realized that even in those darkest hours I could turn to God in prayer... for a power that I needed to get me through the pain. Lord, especially when it is hard, I need to trust in You.

Apathy
Matthew 25:31-46

"Then those people will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or alone and away from home or without clothes or sick or in prison? When did we see these things and not help you?' Then the King will answer, 'I tell you the truth, anything you refused to do for even the least of my people here, you refused to do for me.'" (Matthew 25:44-45)

Sometimes I feel so challenged by this scripture. I pass by and come into contact with so many people every day. And even those I don't meet upon the street, that doesn't excuse me, for the scripture even speaks of those 'in prison'. Just because someone is far away, in a different situation, just because we are busy... none of this is an excuse not to serve our brothers and sisters, not to care for the least of these. I know so many amazing BVSers, now and in times past, who have given up years to work where there was a need. And now I pray, Lord, that You teach me how to care for Your people here everyday- not letting my apathy or business or my own life get in the way.

No comments: