Thursday, February 26, 2009

3 Rs of Lent

Not a traditional Brethren observance, on a church-by-church and person to person basis some Brethren have begun practicing traditions of the Lenten season such as repentance and self-examination. Over the years, I have grown to appreciate this time more, as a time of preparation for the amazing gift of what Easter means to my faith. Easter has always been my favorite holiday and not because of chocolate bunnies and jelly beans, which aren't really my favorites anyway.

To me, Easter is really what Christianity is all about. Christmas is wonderful, but many religions have a leader who was born into the world, whom they follow. Christ was different- God's Son born into this world, yes, but also a Savior... who chose to die... for all of our sins. When my Baba (grandmother) died days before Easter, I made the connection between her death and Jesus' death... which would give her life and grant her entrance into heaven. So, I take this time in the year to prepare my heart for all that Easter means for my life... all that Christ means for my life... because Easter itself just seems to go by too fast. I take this time to devote it all to You, Lord.

The practices of Lent are very individualized and personal (at least in the COB), but I have heard their reasonings presented as: justice to God (self-examination, repentance of own sins and those of others, gratitude for God's salvation), justice to self (renewed practice of spiritual disciplines, prayer especially), justice towards others (generosity, "living simply so that others may simply live," living simply in mindfulness of brothers and sisters, giving also of spiritual gifts, time, devotion, energy and renewed commitment of all my life to God).

Reverence
Leviticus 21:1-22:33

"Remember my commands and obey then; I am the Lord. Show respect for my holy name. You Israelites must remember that I am holy. I am the Lord, who has made you holy. I brought you out of Egypt to be your God. I am the Lord." (Leviticus 22:31-33)

This Lenten season has been called a time of "bright sadness," a moment when we reflect on the sadness of our sins that caused Jesus such pain and hardship, but the 'bright' part is that we know the end of the story... that Jesus took this on so that we would have eternal life. In fact, in addition to reverence, I could add here the importance of reflection, remembrance and respect... all glory and honor and power to the Lord who loved so much... with an unbelievable love that changed the world and has changed my life. Lord, I praise You for Your unbelievable love and I praise You that You have made me holy... asking Your Holy Spirit to fill me with Your power, especially during this time of the year when I renew my commitment to giving it all to You.

Repentance
Psalm 27:7-14

"Lord, hear me when I call, have mercy and answer me. My heart said of you, 'Go, worship him.' So I come to worship you, Lord. Do not turn away from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you have helped me. Do not push me away or leave me alone, God, my Savior. If my father and mother leave me, the Lord will take me in. Lord, teach me your ways, and guide me to do what is right because I have enemies. Do not hand me over to my enemies, because they tell lies about me and say they will hurt me. I truly believe I will live to see the Lord's goodness . Wait for the Lord's help. Be strong and brave, and wait for the Lord's help." (Psalm 27:7-14)

Last night at La Iglesia, la Hermana Soto read Luke 7:36-50. While I had never thought of the story of the "sinner who washes Jesus feet" as an Ash Wednesday service, it seemed pretty perfect to me. At this time of the year, we repent our sins (past and present, of commission and omission) as well as those committed by others and those committed by society and the world as a whole (perhaps partially responsible for not stopping things). We cry out to the Lord, asking forgiveness for our sins, asking for guidance and teaching for correction and thanking and praising God for His love and faithfulness and beautiful forgiving grace that washes us "whiter than snow"... such a beautiful hymn.

Recognizing the fact that we are sinners is important. Our sins humble us. Our sins require salvation. Our sins move us to gratitude. As shown in the story, the woman humbled herself... physically leaning down at Jesus unwashed feet, pouring our her heart and her tears and kissing his feet. Even the fact that she (known as a sinner) entered that room... knowing she would be judged is a part of her expressed humility. The scripture also notes that the sin and need for forgiveness moves us to love more. "Her many sins are forgiven because she loved much; but whoever is forgiven little, loves little." This love is a part of the gratitude that we show. What do we give to the Lord... moved by His incredible act of love? We know that we can never give enough. So, we try to give all that we have: an expensive jar of perfume, our tears, our heart. Simon, on the other hand, failed to recognize his sins in the same way the woman did, did not even give Jesus a bowl of water for his feet or the common courtesies of the time. When we admit our sins and acknowledge that Jesus has forgiven our sins, we give it all, all that we have.

Reconciliation
Mark 5:21-43

"The woman, knowing that she was healed, came and fell at Jesus' feet. Shaking with fear, she told him the whole truth. Jesus said to her, 'Dear woman, you are made well because you believed. Go in peace; be healed of your disease.'" (Mark 5:33-34)

And finally, the "brightness"... the beautiful part of the story that leads us to the life-changing message of the cross. God's forgiveness, God's saving grace. In the Lucas text, Jesus remarks that the woman's "faith has saved her, go in peace" (Luke 7:50). An interesting parallel, because here Jesus also mentions that her belief has made her well... also bidding her peace. After the process of repenting our sins, we need to have faith and believe deeply that Jesus' love covers our sins, washes them away. And indeed... gives us a sense of peace. With this peace and the blessing of Jesus' love, we can walk in the world with the assurance that only Jesus can give us- motivated to give all that we have... because Jesus has indeed given us everything.

No comments: