Monday, February 2, 2009

Powerful Presence (Feb 1)

Powerfully Present during the Journey
Exodus 13:1-14:31

"The Lord showed them the way; during the day he went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud, and during the night he was in a pillar of fire to give them light." (Exodus 13:21)

I can only imagine the trek the Israelites were making. Some must've questioned how long it would be before the king with his army came after them. Some must've wondered whether they were really meant to go in the first place. Others must've been curious what they were actually doing or where they were actually going. But... the Lord was present with them in an amazingly powerful way- a pillar of cloud that guided them along their way... not only giving them a sense of direction but also an amazing reassurance of God's presence with them.

I have often told it to people- that for me, presence is the most wonderful present to me. Today, when people have a million things to do and a million things on their mind, it is no easy task to be with someone... and really be there... not planning your next assignment or organizing ideas. Of course there are times when that needs to be done, but in giving a powerful present of presence- I believe you need to be there... in a shared prayer, a common feeling, simply focused time together... being there.

For me, this is the most powerful testimony of God in my life... I have sensed God's presence as He has led me to different opportunities, to different moments, to different aspects of ministry. Perhaps not as visible as a pillar of cloud before me, but I have felt God's directing me in the moments that I've simply needed to go somewhere or do something. I couldn't tell you why or how exactly, but to me... that's part of the magnificence of God's power... which gives me light. Lord, I pray that I continue to follow as You show me the way- to follow faithfully, wherever You lead me.

Powerfully Present in Trouble
Psalm 18:7-19

"The Lord reached down from above and took me; he pulled me from the deep water. He saved me from my powerful enemies, from those who hated me, because they were too strong for me. They attacked me at my time of trouble, but the Lord supported me. He took me to a safe place. Because he delights in me, he saved me." (Psalm 18:16-19)

How beautiful the love of my God who saves me from trouble. Yesterday in church we prayed for the missionaries, and yes, I prayed. To me, it is a matter of deep importance, because I have been there. Living in a different country with different people is no easy task. All of a sudden you are uprooted not only from everyone who is familiar but from everything that is familiar. There are times of deep loneliness... times that you can almost taste it... but those are the times that I learned to turn to the Lord in prayer and study and meditation. And Lord, how I praise you... for reaching out to me in those times of loneliness and taking me to a safe place... rejuvinating me, giving me energy and love and the power of Your spirit... to continue Your work. Lord, I do pray for all of those missionaries... all of those in all of the churches in all of the world, who are working to further Your kingdom, Lord. May they turn to You and feel the power of Your support.

Powerfully Present in Prayer
Matthew 21:1-22

"So Jesus said to the tree, 'You will never again have fruit.' The tree immediately dried up. When his followers saw this, they were amazed. They asked, 'How did the fig tree dry up so quickly?' Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will be able to do what I did to this tree and even more. You will be able to say to this mountain, 'Go, fall into the sea.' And if you have faith, it will happen. If you believe, you will get anything you ask for in prayer.'" (Matthew 21:19-22)

This verse will always remind me of my friend Kammy... who mentioned it to me as we went up to Mt Lemon... recognizing the beautiful reminder of this verse all around us here in Tucson. And even moreso now, because we have begun the lovely tradition of getting together at certain times in the week for a prayer. My lovely sister in Christ is such a wonderful encouragement to me, as we share our concerns and joys and requests and lift it all up to the Lord... believing in His power to do all things- to move mountains, to comfort souls, to provide guidance.

Lord, I pray for Kammy this morning... that she may finish her work and devote her Saturday to You at the conference, that You care for her family back in Botswana- her brother especially, that You comfort and fill both Kammy and her husband with your peace and guidance for their life during this time when they are so far apart, that You care for her spiritual parents and sister Lala who is dealing with a tough situation, and I also praise You Lord for this wonderful friend that You have given me.

No comments: