Friday, February 6, 2009

And the Glory, the Glory of the Lord

Seeing God's Glory
Exodus 23:1-24:18

"When Moses went up on the mountain, the cloud covered it. The glory of the Lord came down on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it for six days. On the seventh day the Lord called to Moses from inside the cloud. To the Israelites the glory of the Lord looked like a fire burning on top of the mountain. Then Moses went into the cloud and went higher up the mountain. He was on the mountain for forty days and forty nights." (Exodus 24:15-18)

Moses went up to the mountain to receive the stone tablets with the ten commandments written upon them, and Moses met with God. I cannot imagine the power of that experience... standing before the Lord in all His glory- praise, honor, distinction, great beauty and splendor. It must have been so awesome to even be the Israelites as they looked at the burning "fire" and "cloud." It's hard to imagine what it must've been like. Lord, I await that day that You call to me... that I may see Your glory. May I always remember that I do not live for this life alone, but thank You for the precious gift of salvation which welcomes me into Your kingdom where I will see Your glory.

Declaring God's Glory
Psalm 19:1-6

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the skies announce what his hands have made. Day after day they tell the story; night after night they tell it again. They have no speech or words, they have no voice to be heard. But their message goes out through all the world; their words go everywhere on earth." (Psalm 19:1-4)

While I can't see the Lord's glory in the powerful image of a "fire" or a "cloud," I certainly can see God's glory around me. Here in Tucson, the mountains seem to sing praises to God's honor who created the heaven and the earth. And I see it in the sun and the amazing moon... that always seems so breathtaking here. But also in dear friends, who share Your love with me in a prayer, a conversation, a cup of coffee and kindness. Lord, the whole world that You so lovingly created shares Your glory... and I as a part of that pray that You help me take that message throughout all the world... everywhere on earth. Lord, I certainly pray for You guidance and direction for my life. Sometimes I feel that You are leading me into missions again... and I pray that You lead me wherever You would have me go, whatever You would have me do... all in Your glorious name, my God.

Praising God's Glory
Matthew 23:23-39

"Many times I wanted to gather your people as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you did not let me. Now your house will be left completely empty. I tell you, you will not see me again until that time when you will say, 'God bless the One who comes in the name of the Lord.'" (Matthew 23:37-39)

I feel that I so needed this verse this morning. Oh Jesus, how I want to feel You gathering me in, under Your wings... I need Your protection and love and grace this morning. After receiving my student evaluation reports which were not really bad but less than I expected, I feel quite disheartened. And yet, I know that I can only turn to You and pray that You guide me and help me to really reach my students, help them, teach them. Alone I am never enough, but Your goodness, oh God, can help me to do all things. Always a bit better, always a bit improved... with Your power and strength and wisdom. I praise You for this amazing love that You offer to me and the most glorious gift of Your Son, whom You sent in Your name.

No comments: