Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Better Way

To Help
Exodus 17:1-18:27

"Moses' father-in-law said to him, 'You are not doing this right. You and the people who come to you will get too tired. This is too much work for you; you can't do it by yourself. Now listen to me, and I will give you some advice. I want God to be with you." (Exodus 18:17-19)

To me, this story shows me the importance of listening to God's direction which can come from friends, spiritual leaders, brothers and sisters in Christ. It is important to get the input of other people... to listen to what they have to say, to advice they have to give. Sometimes, they see a better solution or a better way for you to take your spiritual gifts to the Lord. And it is important to note that Jethro's advice is motivated by what he feels God is saying... "I want God to be with you." When I chose to go into BVS, my service site was not an easy decision for me, but after communication with the directors of the church in Brazil, leaders of the program, parents, and close friends, I knew that was where God would "be with me." Lord, I ask that you guide me now... give me the wisdom to listen to my brothers and sisters for the direction that You would have me take in my life... which is Yours. I give it all to You.

To Live
Psalm 18:30-42

"You give me a better way to live, so I live as you want me to." (Psalm 18:36)

A better way to live. Living as the Lord would have me live- what a challenge, a challenge that I admit I fall short of. Yet God is gracious and good and understanding and patient and loving. He loves my efforts to follow faithfully in His footsteps. We tend to see all things as a dichotomy... one color or another, when really it is a spectrum of options. Help me to see "the third way" as some call it... "the better way"... "another way of living"... "another way of believing."

To Invite
Matthew 22:1-22

"But the people refused to listen to the servants and left to do other things. One went to work in his field, and another went to his business. Some of the other people grabbed the servants, beat them, and killed them. The king was furious and sent his army to kill the murderers and burn their city. After that, the king said to his servants, 'The wedding feast is ready. I invited those people, but they were not worthy to come. So go to the street corners and invite everyone you find to come to my feast." (Matthew 22:5-9)

Ah, this story is challenging as well, because of the examples that are so applicable to today's society. When invited, one had work to accomplish and another business to attend to. These are two of the most common 'excuses' given (especially in grad school). Well, God doesn't want us to neglect our responsibilities or become lazy, but I do feel that it's important that we get things in the proper order. What is of prominent importance in our lives? God needs to be our priority... we are invited to a feast, to a wedding... into times of worship, prayer and communion and fellowship with our Lord. That is no kind of invitation to ignore.

No comments: