Friday, February 27, 2009

Crying Out- For Forgiveness, For Guidance, In Joy!

Cry Out for Forgiveness
Psalm 28:1-5

"Lord, my Rock, I call out to you for help. Do not be deaf to me. If you are silent, I ill be like those in the grave. hear the sound of my prayer, when I cry out to you for help. I raise my hands toward your Most Holy Place. Don't drag me away with the wicked, with those who do evil. They say 'Peace' to their neighbors, but evil is in their hearts." (Psalm 28:1-3)

In keeping with our 3rd day of lent, one thing we cry out for is forgiveness and help... recognizing that alone we are not enough... alone we have sinned and only Jesus can wash away and cleanse those sins. Like the woman with the perfume, we call out to our Rock... who hears our prayers. I have been trying to pray a little Lenten prayer somewhat hourly when possible this season. The importance is going to God in prayer... asking His forgiveness, His care, His help, His protection... and oh what praise that brings as we learn to love the Lord's abounding grace that we so desperately need.

Cry Out for Transformation
Mark 6:1-29

"So the followers went out and preached that people should change their hearts and lives." (Mark 6:12)

Now here is a part of a familiar story (Jesus returning to his hometown) that I stood out to me in a way that it never had before. After mentioning that they should go without anything (actually very representative of the Lenten tradition or paring down to bare necessities and living simply), this very shows what happened. After their hearts and lives had changed, they preached this message to all. This is the read message of Christianity... it is impossible to live as we used to. After we have repented of our sins, the Holy Spirit enters us and teaches us how to live- changing our hearts and lives in such a remarkable way that we look and act differently. Lord, fill me with Your spirit and teach me how to change my own heart and life and spread Your beautiful message that it may change others' hearts and lives as well.

Cry Out in Joy!
Leviticus 23:1-24:23

"...Tell the people of Israel: 'You will announce the Lord's appointed feasts as holy meetings. These are my special feasts. There are six days for you to work, but the seventh day will be a special day of rest. It is a day for a holy meeting; you must not do any work. It is a Sabbath to the Lord in all your homes." (Leviticus 23:1-3)

This is the part of Lent that some people forget about... the joy- again, the "bright" part of the "bright sadness." But traditionally, on Sundays (that special day of rest the Lord has given to us) during Lent people would break their fasts and partial fasts. So, at these moments during this marked time of reverence, reflection and self-examination... we may go to the Lord to celebrate the Easter that is to come... the joy of salvation and the gratitude that come from Jesus' death on the cross so many years ago. And I do have so much to praise Jesus for... this time to return to Him and devote this special season all to my Lord as well as His forgiveness and many many blessings.

And as I spend all of this time in prayer during this time, I remember to rejoice in God's blessings. He is so faithful. Just yesterday, I received an answer to prayer- a possible housing arrangement for next year... which I have been lifting up to God recently. Lord, You are so good to me... I thank You for Your countless blessings that You have poured out upon my life... especially the blessing of Your Son who You sent to save all of our sins.

No comments: