Saturday, November 15, 2008

You Gotta Have Faith

In God's Power
Ezekiel 21:1-22:31

"I will put you together and make you feel the heat of my anger. You will be melted down inside Jerusalem. As silver is melted in a furnace, you will be melted inside the city. Then you will know that I, the Lord, have poured out my anger on you." (Ezekiel 22:21-22)

Last night Lise's father came to GCF and told us some stories about his life, but what I took from it was the need for stories that don't necessarily have happy endings. We all have them, and the Bible is full of them. But those aren't the stories we tell or share or remember. Yet they are so important- a valid and important part of our true lives. And so it is here in Ezekiel spelled out time and again how the people are disobeying and doing all sorts of sinful things. God needs to change things through some pretty 'authoritarian' parenting techniques, pouring out His anger to make sure the people "will know that [He is] the Lord" who has all power.

In God's Goodness
Psalm 126:1-6

"When the Lord brought the prisoners back to Jerusalem, it seemed as if we were dreaming. Then we were filled with laughter, and we sang happy songs. Then the other nations said, 'The Lord has done great things for them.' The Lord has done great things for us and we are very glad." (Psalm 126:1-3)

Yet, God does not just demonstrate His power in strict punishments in the old testament. There are also the blessings. I know that I should be filled with laughter and happy songs and abundant joy every day, because I have been so blessed- with wonderful classes, with this opportunity to teach and study, with wonderful friends and family, with so many experiences and family and friends throughout the world. Maybe upon looking at my life others may say, "The Lord has done great things for you, Katie." And it is so true and "I praise the Lord for the great things he has done for me and I am very glad."

In God's Promises
Hebrews 10:19-39

"And since we have a great priest over God's house, let us come near to God with a sincere heart and a sure faith, because we have been made free from a guilty conscience, and our bodies have been washed with pure water. Let us hold firmly to the hope that we have confessed, because we can trust God to do what he promised." (Hebrews 10:21-23)

Not only has God blessed me here on earth, but despite sometimes tragic stories in my life, I have the ultimate happy ending. God promises me freedom from a guilty conscience, as I believe Jesus' sacrifice for my sins... that has washed me with "pure water." Lord, may I live with a sincere heart and a sure faith as I praise your promises and await my happily ever after in Your house, oh God.

No comments: