Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Hope...

To Be God's People
Ezekiel 13:1-14:23

"Then the nation of Israel will not leave me anymore or make themselves unclean anymore with all their sins. They will be my people, and I will be their God, says the Lord God." (Ezekiel 14:11)

The Lord promises to destroy the false prophets who proclaim peace when there is none and take a weak wall and cover it with whitewash. God vows to save His people from this deception so that they may sin no more, so that they may return to God. Lord, help me to turn from "false prophets" and follow You and Your word, because You are my God, oh Lord.

For Peace
Psalm 122:6-9

"Pray for peace in Jerusalem: 'May those who love her be safe. May there be peace within her walls and safety within her strong towers.' To help my relatives and friends, I say, 'Let Jerusalem have peace.' For the sake of the Temple of the Lord our God, I wish good for her." (Psalm 122:6-9)

Lord, I must remember every day to pray for peace in this world... a broad sense of peace. May this world be without war and preventable deaths killing so many dreams every second. May children be safe to play outside without their parents fearing their safety. May my friends in the favelas be freed from the violence of a life without basic needs being met. May those in tough neighborhoods not face the horrors of drugs and all the violence it causes. Only You, oh Lord, can grant the peace that we are lacking in this world. Teach me in the ways of peace that I may reflect your goodness in the world, for the sake of your house, God.

To Come Near to God
Hebrews 7:1-28

"But now a better hope has been given to us, and with this hope we can come near to God." (Hebrews 7:19)

With the many places I have been, the hardships I have felt and experienced alongside friends, it is often a wonder that I can remain somewhat optimistic and idealistic. The distraught situation of a world with the aforementioned problems would naturally lead to a cynical disposition. Yet, "my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness" ("My Hope is Built"). It reminds me of my students singing the Dixie Chix song, "I Hope," in a special service about peace one Sunday. I love Your hope, Lord, which brings me closer to You... may I live to share this sweet message of Your better hope to an often seemingly hopeless world.

No comments: