Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Where Credit is Due

God
Ezekiel 29:1-30:26

""Because you said, 'The Nile River is mine, and I have made it,' I am against you and your rivers." (Ezekiel 29:9-10)

I have to admit, reading this passage reminds me of some funny characters in movies. Like Joe Jr. from "While You Were Sleeping"- "Live here? I own the joint... Know her? I'm dating her." Both false affirmations that he proudly made without a stitch of truth in them. Then, the father in "Big Fat Greek Wedding" who would "convince" everyone that every word came from Greek (even "kimono"!) and that the Greeks invented everything.

But can you imagine? "That river? I made that river!" What a ridiculous idea. Looking around this world with all of the amazing landscape I've seen: the lush Atlantic Rainforest in Brazil, the moonlit magesty of Sabino Canyon, hidden deep among the giant Sequoias, "Singing Sand" and Red Dunes in PEI, etc, etc. I see God's glory reflected in a very real way through the beauty of His creation. No wonder God made the king of Egypt fall to the king of Babylon.

Giving
Proverbs 28:27

"Whoever gives to the poor will have everything he needs, but the one who ignores the poor will receive many curses." (Proverbs 28:27)

I have been so fortunate to have so many 'spiritual leaders' in my life- people who provide me with a wonderful example of where to go, what to do, how to do things. I have time and again learned the message of generosity.

As a volunteer in Brazil, I didn't have a clothing budget, and my dear friend Ana Paula (who I miss so much) gave me some of her beautiful clothing. Going into class on any given day, children who would offer me half of their little penny candy or a ring, necklace, poem or picture they had made for me. Here at the U of A, I've learned this so many times as well. The Yordy's continually offer to pick me up for church and invited me for a lovely Thanksgiving at their home. And last night Reena organized a service activity through our Bible Study called Operation Christmas Child. She bought tons of amazingly cute and fun gifts that will be sent as a gift to a child.

Yet the credit does not go to us but to the Lord. The reason I feel compelled to give is because what I have is not my own. There is something inherently wrong in a world where some people have so much money that they don't even know what to do with it while others struggle to meet their daily needs. Due to the sinful nature of a world where things are so upside down, money that rightfully belongs to the poor has somehow been stolen from them. I can only attempt to right the world... and give back what is rightfully theirs.

Teachers
Hebrews 13:1-25

"Remember your leaders who taught God's message to you. Remember how they lived and died, and copy their faith. Jesus christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." (Hebrews 13:7-8)

When staying at the Shreckhise's house in Lancaster, we often marveled at the many pastors I've had over the years, which number more than a dozen, I am sure. I honestly feel so blessed to have this gift- so many wonderful role models. Even more, the Church of the Brethren teaches the philosophy of "the priesthood of all believers"... that every member of the congregation has some part in the ministry of the church based on their own God-given gifts. So I've had many many many more than a dozen. Each and every person has taught me valuable lessons about what it means to be a Christian.

And this verse uses the past tense. We are meant to learn from leaders who have gone on ahead of us, because Jesus Christ is always the same... the messages are only the same... if only we'd learn to get them right. Well, this makes me think of my Nana... who died when I was 2 years of age. I never met her, but anyone who ever did has only told me the most wonderful things about her: a meek, patient, sweet, mild-mannered, kind-hearted woman who never was heard to say a cross word about anyone or anything. I'm always eager to learn anything I can about my nana, and I hope in some way to learn from her and emulate Jesus the way that she has taught so many.

No comments: