Thursday, November 27, 2008

God Bless Us, Every One

~Ok, so I know this is from "A Christmas Carol," but Tiny Tim's sweet, sincere sentiment seems fitting on Thanksgiving as well- as every one (to emphasize the every) gathers around the table.~

Justice
Ezekiel 45:1-46:24

"This is what the Lord God says: You have gone far enough, you rules of Israel! Stop being cruel and hurting people, an do what is right and fair. Stop forcing my people out of their homes, says the Lord God." (Ezekiel 45:9)

To me this verse sounds like when Dad gets out his "father voice." The kids are whining in the back seat, and "Kids... that's enough." That's all that needs to be said. We get the point. Fair is fair, so we give back the Ghostbuster or My Little Pony and feel a little bit honored... Dad cares enough to both protect and advise us... to guide us.

Lord, just like a father, any wrong done to Your children must be so painful. And I look around a hurting world... the Food Bank was packed on Tuesday in these times of economic distress. Lord, show me how to do what is right and fair to honor every one of my brothers and sisters.

Service
Psalm 135:1-7

"Praise the Lord! Praise the name of the Lord; praise him, you servants of the Lord, you who stand in the Lord's Temple and in the Temple courtyards. Praise the Lord, because he is good; sing praises to him, because it is pleasant." (Psalm 1-3)

"You servants of the Lord." To be God's servant... that is all I desire. It is such a blessing! Imagine. The most holy Lord our God thinks enough of us to actually charge us with the responsibility of living in service to Him who is "good" and "pleasant" among oh so many other things.

I don't know whether it is just because of my upbringing, but I think we are all looking for a job to do, for a role to fill, for someway to help, to give a little of what we've got. I never quite recognized it at the time, but an important part of Communion/Feet Washing/Love Feast was setting up, cooking, serving, cleaning up together. Everyone helped in some way- from taking the communion bread to shut-ins to wiping down tables. Lord, thank you for allowing me to be Your servant... may I learn every day a little more how to live my life in Your service.

Beauty
1 Peter 3:1-22

"It is not fancy hair, gold jewelry, or fine clothes that should make you beautiful. No, your beauty should come from within you- the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit that will never be destroyed and is very precious to God." (1 Peter 3:3-4)

God treats all his children fairly- giving us each a responsibility and seeing each of us as beautiful. In heaven, we will have a new kind of heavenly body, and I like to imagine that our bodies will display our own inner beauty. Yet perhaps we don't need this. Sometimes it's so clear to me... I can see right through a person to their soul that is so alive and lovely- and quiet and gentle.

As a child, I always wished for blond hair, to look like my favorite Disney princesses, but now, Lord, I just pray for that beautiful gentle and quiet spirit... that I may be very precious and very beautiful to you, my God.

No comments: