Sunday, November 9, 2008

Where Does My Help Come From?

God Hears Me
Ezekiel 9:1-10:22

"He said to the man, 'Go through Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of the people who groan and cry about all the hateful things being done among them.'" (Ezekiel 9:4)

In Ezekiel's vision, right before the city of Jerusalem is destroyed, God commands the angels to mark all those who groan and cry about what is going on. Despite the way the city had turned away from God, the Lord heard the cries of His people who were yet trying to follow Him. This gives me hope in a world where so many have gone off the track. Although I may feel that my still small voice is quelled beneath the shouts of the worldiness, I know that my God hears my cries, my voice praying for help to guide me in His ways.

God Protects Me
Psalm 121:1-8

I look up to the hills, but where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
He will not let you be defeated. He who guards you never sleeps.
He who guards Israel never rests or sleeps.
The Lord guards you. The Lord is the shade that protects you from the sun.
The sun cannot hurt you during the day, and the moon cannot hurt you at night.
The Lord will protect you from all dangers; he will guard your life.
The Lord will guard you as you come and go, both now and forever. (Psalm 121:1-8)

This is one of my very favorite verses... the comforting assurance of God's help. As we learned today in Sunday School, we cannot turn to the world to solve our problems. We will only be disappointed. Our help "comes from the Lord." God saves me, makes me victorious, guards me, protects me... and all of this shows how very much that God loves me.

Lord, this evening I do not cry out for help for myself but for my various brothers and sisters- Kara (that you may lay your comforting healing hand upon her), the Nunez family (that you may bless them and help them see your plan for the next step in their lives- here or back in Mexico), Brad (that he may have a safe trip down to Brazil and that you protect him while he is there), Jerry (that he may continue to have a wonderful experience in the DR, filled with your presence), and for all my wonderful family and friends, near and far that are all here in my heart this evening. Please watch over all of these, your children.

God Helps Me
Hebrews 4:14-5:10

"While Jesus lived on earth, he prayed to God and asked God for help. He prayed with loud cries and tears to the One who could save him from death, and his prayer was heard because he trusted God." (Hebrews 5:7)

Jesus set the example for how I must strive to live my life, and if Jesus prayed to God asking for help, how much more should I ask for help. Praying for help demonstrates that I trust God completely and also that I acknowledge God's all-consuming power to help in every instance.

I remember a story I heard once about how we should pray to God and completely trust God's faithfulness:
There was a terrible drought in the midwest, and all the farmers had gathered outside for a prayer meeting to pray that God would bring rain.
The preacher exclaimed, "You have to have faith for your prayers to be answered. Do you believe that God's going to send us rain?"
The crowd answered an enthusiastic, "Yes!"
"Do you really believe it?"
"Yes!"
"With your whole heart?"
"YES!"
"Then I have a question for you. Where are your umberellas?"

A cute story that can't be applied to every instance. There are certainly many people who have prayed for healing with the greatest faith I have ever seen. And only God knows why certain things happen or don't. Yet, to me this story is very real. Too often I am praying for rain without an umberella, or peace while running around like crazy, etc. Lord, may I pray to you for help, trusting that You hear me and can help me.

No comments: