Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"This is What the Lord God Says..."

Through the prophets
Ezekiel 1:1-20

"But speak my words to them. They may listen, or they may not, because they turn against me." (Ezekiel 1:7)

Ezekiel not only received the word of the Lord to pass on to the people but also "saw visions of God" (1) and "felt the power of the Lord" (3). Why is it so much harder to see You, to feel Your power, to hear Your word today, oh Lord? Perhaps it is this choice that we are given. Am I really listening? Am I turning against You?

When volunteering up in Boston, I worshiped with the Quakers (in a Silent Meeting) for many Sundays. I appreciated learning to sit in silence and stillness and listen for the voice of the Lord. And I heard You, Lord. May I always take the time to be in Your presence and listen to Your word.

Through the Laws
Psalm 119:153-160

"Your words are true from the start, and all your laws will be fair forever." (Psalm 119:160)

We live in a culture of ever-changing fads. TV shows, clothes, games, toys... everything seems to be in or out, and changing with each season. But not God. The "Great I Am" is the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end. His words are true in the beginning and will be just as true and fair forever. A good, true, fair consistent law to guide our lives. May I ever be mindful of Your word, oh Lord. Help grant me the understanding I lack in order to truly follow You. The more I learn, the less I know.

Through His Son
Hebrews 1:1-14

"In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets many times and in many different ways. But now in these last days God has spoken to us through his Son." (Hebrews 1:1-2)

How can I even begin to appreciate Your unspeakable gift, Lord? You sent Your son to speak to us to give us the ever-important message of salvation. Jesus' life, message and mission speak so much of Your amazing love and compassion and mercy on poor sinners such as myself. The ultimate blessing- I praise You and thank you for this unfathomable love every day... as I studied yesterday, every morning it seems new.

No comments: