Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Refreshed by God's Spirit

New
Lamentations 3:1-5:22

"But I have hope when I think of this: The Lord's love never ends; his mercies never stop. They are new every morning..." (Lamentations 3:21-23)

After some prize 'lamenting' in a segment of text with the heading "The Meaning of Suffering," the author stops and explains the words that give him hope. New mercies every morning... for some reason this is just one of the most comforting and refreshing thoughts. God not only "makes all things new" (Revelations 21:5) like our hearts, souls and spirits, but our Lord's own perfect love and mercy for us is new every day. Lord, may I similarly learn to love everyone with a new love every morning.

Near
Psalm 119:145-152

"But, Lord, you are also near, and all your commands are true." (Psalm 119:151)

I serve a god in the here and now. This song reminds me of the old Brethren hymn I love so much. First verse:

Move in our midst, thou Spirit of God.
Go with us down from thy holy hill.
Walk with us through the storm and the calm.
Spirit of God, go thou with us still.


Lord, may I live my life ever-mindful of the renewing presence of your spirit in my life.

Nourishing
Philemon 1-25

"I have great joy and comfort, my brother, because the love you have shown to God's people has refreshed them." (Philemon 7)

Sometimes I feel so small, like the little ways I try to show God's love barely make a difference... but at least I have some great role model to help teaching me the way.

Last night, we (a group of us from GCF) gathered for a lovely potluck meal in honor of our Iraqi friends (Raad, Enas and Rota). Everyone brought delicious dishes made with that ever-important special ingredient: love. And while the dishes were absolutely delicious, the conversation, fellowship, friendship and yes- love- offered at that meal was even more nourishing. I can't be sure about everyone there, but I know I came away refreshed and renewed... so thankful for the God's love shared among so many wonderful friends.

No comments: