Friday, November 7, 2008

A Purpose and a Plan

The Reason for the Plan
Ezekiel 5:1-6:14

"Then they will know that I am the Lord. I did not bring this terrible thing on them for no reason." (Ezekiel 6:10)

Sometimes it's difficult for me to accept the severe punishments God doled out in the Old Testament. But, it helps to recognize that there was a very clear reason. It wasn't punishment for punishment's sake- like a criminal being thrown in jail. This punishment was like that of a parent, meant to teach, correct and edify a child. Jerusalem had lost sight of the Lord and needed to once again know that the Lord is God. Lord, thank you for your masterful plan and your good and true reasons for everything. May I always know that you are Lord.

Understanding the Plan
Psalm 119:169-176

"Hear my cry to you, Lord. Let your word help me understand." (Psalm 119:169)

The more I study, the more I pray, the more I seek you, Lord... it seems the less I know. Yet I'm not sure this is such a bad thing. The less I know, the more I am awestruck by Your mystery and power and glory which I'm not sure I'm even capable of fully understanding. Lord God, guide me each morning as I read Your word... help me to understand what little parts I may... as I continue to be amazed by your glorious plan.

Fulfilling the Plan
Hebrews 3:1-19

"And we are God's house if we confidently maintain our hope." (Hebrews 3:6)

This passage mentions God as builder and creator of everything. The architect is worthy of the glory, not ourselves. Yet, we do have a part in this plan. By maintaining our hope and faith (built on Jesus), we may point clearly towards God. Just as the Guggenheim points to Frank Lloyd Wright and Brasilia points to Oscar Niemeyer. No one stands around admiring the buildings without giving the credit to the builder. May my life be the same, Lord... may no one admire my life without understanding that it is all to Your glory... in some small way fulfilling Your masterful plan.

No comments: