Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wonder-Working Power: Faith

God-Inheriting Power
Numbers 17:1-18:32

"The Lord also said to Aaron, 'You will not inherit any of the land, and you will not own any land among the other people. I will be yours. Out of all the Israelites, only you will inherit me.'" (Numbers 18:20)

Wow! I think Aaron got the good end of the deal. Lots of responsibility, no land... but he's got God. Of course things have changed since then, and I am thankful that we have the gift of the Holy Spirit who comes into our hearts. Such an amazing gift... the Holy Spirit is mine. And through this I have amazing power to do things I never would've imagined possible. Already in my life, I have experienced more than I would've dreamed of.

Knowing-Where-You're-Going Power
Psalm 32:6-11

"The Lord says, 'I will make you wise and show you where to go. I will guide and watch over you." (Psalm 32:8)

Just this morning Sara and I were talking about how God speaks to us in different ways- sometimes the people we meet or the things we see or just a strong feeling that can't really be described as anything else. I remember how completely shocked everyone when I just decided to pick up and go to Rio de Janeiro for a month, learning Portuguese in the morning and volunteering in a favela at night. It was a decision that I made in about a week, when normally I am planning things semesters, if not years, in advance. Somehow I just knew that it was right, and so when I worry sometimes about the future... I just need to remember that the Lord is my guide. If I don't know about the future right now, it's simply because God's decided I don't need to know yet. Because the Lord is my knowing-where-I'm-going power, and I'll know when it's time to go. He will show me and guide me and watch over me, as He always has.

Mountain-Moving Power
Mark 11:20-33

"Jesus answered, 'Have faith in God. I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, 'Go fall into the sea.' And if you have no doubts in your mind and believe that what you say will happen, God will do it for you. So I tell you to believe that you have received the things you ask for in prayer, and God will give them to you.'" (Mark 11:22-24)

This is such a beautiful verse, and so special to me here in the context of Arizona. The huge beautiful mountain ranges remind me of the enormity of God's power to do all things. Yet this verse is also challenging. It challenges my faith... do I have enough faith? Do I believe enough? Is that why things don't happen? Do I sometimes pray without the absolute assurance that God will answer my prayers? I need to remember to pray, with the certainty that God can do all things and God will answer my prayers.... after all God's is a power that can move mountains.

No comments: