Monday, March 16, 2009

Prayers of: Promises, Petition and Persistance

Promises
Numbers 29:1-30:16

"If a man makes a promise to the Lord or says he will do something special, he must keep his promise. He must do what he said." (Numbers 30:2)

We like to make 'bargains' with God, I think this is because we can't quite wrap our minds around the chasm that exists between God's character and our own. Here on earth, we do something to get something in return. But God doesn't work that way. He blesses us, simply because He is good. He helps us, simply because He is able. He loves us, simply because He is love.

Yet there is value in making promises to God... promises, not bargains. A promise is motivated by love and friendship and commitment and devotion. It is something we do with no strings attached. There are the little promises- I'll go to church every Sunday. But there are also the big promises we make to God: to honor your parents, be faithful to your spouse, care for the foreigner and outcast, remain pure until marraige, appreciate and care for the mind, body and soul that God has given you, and follow God's leading... wherever He sends you. Those are just a few of the promises I have made, and I will keep those promises. I will do what I have said, because these are just a few ways in which I can show my devotion to a Lord who has given me everything.

Petition
Psalm 34:15-22

"The Lord sees the good people and listens to their prayers. But the Lord is against those who do evil; he makes the world forget them. The Lord hears good people when they cry out to him, and he saves them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted, and he saves those whose spirits have been crushed. People who do what is right may have many problems, but the Lord will solve them all." (Psalm 34:15-19)

A God who "sees" me. A God who "listens" to my prayers. A God who is "close" to me. These are such important aspects of our relationships here on earth. Only our closest of friends really see us for who we are and love us anyway. Only our closest of friends really take time to listen to us... allow us to talk and hear us out, even when it takes an inabsorbant amount of time waiting for the shy soul to speak. Only our closest friends remain close during the tough times... stopping by to say hi or offering a much needed embrace or note of encouragement. I praise You, Lord, a Lord who has called me a "friend," no longer a servant (John 15). I thank You for Your love... shown in so many ways, but especially this morning I thank You for seeing me, listening to me, and being close to me... as I pray to You for understanding, comfort and guidance.

Persistance
Mark 14:27-52

"After walking a little farther away from them, Jesus fell to the ground and prayed that, if possible, he would not have this time of suffering. He prayed, 'Abba, Father! You can do all things. Take away this cup of suffering. But do what you want, not what I want.' Then Jesus went back to his followers and found them asleep. He said to Peter, 'Simon are you sleeping? Couldn't you stay awake with me for one hour? Stay awake and pray for strength against temptation. The spirit wants to do what is right, but the body is weak.' Again Jesus went away and prayed the same thing...After Jesus prayed a third time..." (Mark 14:35-39, 41)

We are told to pray constantly. And here with have an example of persistance and inconstancy within the same scripture. Jesus took time to pray through his pain and pray for God's will to be done- not once, not twice, but three times. Three times the same prayer within the course of the afternoon. Sometimes we pray by 'checking something off the list.' Well, I prayed. That's done. Jesus shows that prayer (close communication with God) about something is very important. When we are going through something difficult, frustrating or amazing, we don't need to cease to pray about it.

But at the same time, the disciples had fallen asleep. Jesus told them to pray for strength, but they fell asleep again. I sometimes wonder just how much they knew or didn't know. How could you at such a time simply sleep? And yet, sometimes I feel I do the same thing. There are wars raging far from home and in my neighbor's illness or loss of a family member or recent surgery, and I've "fallen asleep". Lord, help me to remember to pray... constantly, persistently, 3 times a day and more. I search out my Gethsemane to pray to you... persistent prayers of promise and petition and praise!

No comments: