Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Giving "Me"

A twist on Shel Silverstein's "The Giving Tree" in which the tree gives and gives to the little boy until there is nothing left to give, we should similarly give all of ourselves- to the Lord, to those in need, and to our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Giving to the Lord
Deuteronomy 13:1-14:29

"Be sure to save one-tenth of all your crops each year. Take it to the place the Lord your God will choose where he is to be worshiped. There, where you will be together with the Lord, eat the tenth of your grain, new wine, and oil, and eat the animals born first to your herds and flocks. Do this so that you will learn to respect the Lord your God always." (Deuteronomy 14:22-23)

Tithing... an unpopular topic, especially this year. But, it's hard for me to understand what the very big deal is? Why is it so difficult? I am so very blessed, that a tenth seems like so very little. It's the first thing to be put into my budget each month, and it's been this way since I've started working. Even in BVS, I'd tithe from my monthly stipend. $6.00 given to the church in Massachussetts was $6.00 that I could give to the Lord, and it would be put to better use than something I'd use it for. Re-reading this passage, it's also wonderful to see the same rejoicing in giving. Giving these things to the Lord so that you may celebrate.

A couple weeks ago at La Iglesia, we had a luncheon after a church meeting in the new annex... an additional space that the church just finished renovating. The tithes and offerings and gifts of time and hard work made this space possible... this space where we could come together and celebrate and praise the Lord. Lord, may I always give to You joyfully, celebrating in giving my heart, my time, my energy, all of my gifts to You.

Giving to Those in Need
Psalm 37:23-29

"Good people always lend freely to others, and their children are a blessing." (Psalm 37:26)

Lately I've been thinking about generosity a lot, especially after being a bit spoiled by a plane ticket home to visit my parents. But I'm quite convinced that generosity doesn't have to do with having but giving whatever you have. A generous heart doesn't have a certain amount of income. In fact, I think that's partly why it's so hard for the rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. It seems the more you earn, the more you feel that you need... your first becomes tighter.

In Brazil, I had students who would buy me a penny candy (bala) when they had only two for themselves, and I still have the bracelet that Anderson made for me as well as Larissa's beautiful seashell necklace. Beautiful artwork by Rota and Karen decorate my fridge, and I still remember the wonderful meals made for me by my refugee friends in Lancaster. Call me sentimental, but these gifts are far more important to me that the most expensive presents. They show me that we give from our hearts, not from our wealth. God, teach me to give freely as so many have given freely to me- to freely give my love, my possessions, my home, and You.

Giving to Sisters & Brothers in Christ
Luke 2:25-52

"Jesus said to them, 'Why were you looking for me? Didn't you know that I must be in my Father's house?' But they did not understand the meaning of what he said. Jesus went with them to Nazareth and was obedient with them. But his mother kept in her mind all that had happened." (Luke 2:49-51)

This must be a tough one for parents... and one that I admittedly will have trouble relating to. Perhaps it is partly what my parents experienced when I went off to BVS- leaving home, leaving a traditional lifestyle, leaving friends and family to follow God's leading. (Part of BVS orientation includes a discernment process, so we really don't know where we'll be sent until the end of the 3 week orientation.) We have so much love for our family and close friends, but Jesus turns that idea of "family" upside down. Our family should be any of our brothers and sisters in Christ... those who live worlds away and those who live down the street. And what a beautiful family it is! Family in Mexico, Brazil, Guatemala, etc. Lord, teach me to give myself not just to my own physical family but first and foremost to the family that I have in You.

No comments: