Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Loyalty

Loyalty seems a fitting topic to consider today, as we celebrate the loyalty to our Irish heritage.

To Your Brothers
Numbers 31:1-32:42

"Moses told the people of Gad and Reuben, 'Shall your brothers go to war while you stay behind?'" (Numbers 32:6)

These kinds of chapters are hard for pacifists to read. How do we believe in a Biblically-based pacifism when there are unavoidable passages centered around war in the Bible? To answer that complicated and important question, I'll refer you to Dale Brown's book Biblical Pacifism. Here, however, I'll concentrate on quite another issue. Moses' concern for Gad and Reuben's loyalty to their brothers. "How could you?" he's asking in essence. How could you stay behind when your brothers need you? We are one body in Christ, a family of believers with the same Father in heaven.

If only we could really see each other this way... because then there would not be war or hunger or pain. There would be no one to go to war against, for those on the other side would be our family members. We'd have a short shouting match and be done with it. Those without food would certainly be welcomed to our table where the loaves and fishes would multiply to meet the needs. There would be enough home and hospital care for those in pain, because we'd care for everyone as if they were family. Sometimes I wonder if this is a part of "taking up our cross," and I'm reminded of Simon from Cyrene who was made to carry Jesus' cross. Perhaps taking up our cross is really taking on another's pain and suffering and needs- caring and loving for all as for our own brothers, loyally.

To Us
Psalm 35:1-10

"Then I will rejoice in the Lord; I will be happy when he saves me. Even my bones will say, 'Lord, who is like you? You save the weak from the strong, the weak and poor from robbers.'" (Psalm 35:9-10)

And we have the perfect example of loyalty... a God who reaches out to us and defends and protects us, not because we deserve it but because He is a loving and loyal God. Such a beautiful verse this one. "Lord, who is like you?" Really, I constantly reflect upon God's Godliness... so holy and wonderful and unlike anything I could really compare Him to. His love is amazing in its loyalty... though I may lose my way or forget or make a misstep, "God's love endures forever." Lord, teach me to love in such a way- loyal to all of my brothers and sisters, because we are a part of the same family, not because of what they do or don't do- but to reflect Your loyal love in the world.

To Jesus
Mark 14:53-72

"At once the rooster crowed the second time. Then Peter remembered what Jesus had told him: 'Before the rooster crows twice, you will say three times that you don't know me.' Then Peter lost control of himself and began to cry." (Mark 14:72)

Oh, Peter. This last line drips with pain that we can almost feel deep within our souls. "Peter lost control of himself and began to cry." I have been there many times, even times because I have realized my mistakes. I kneel before the Lord in the quietness and oftentimes cry. Though I have not denied Jesus in word, I repent the disloyalty I have shown in breaking His commandment by saying or doing something contrary to His way. Lord, the truth is that we all need to "lose control"... we need to turn over our control of You. You really are in control of our lives, and only through recognizing this and giving our whole lives to You may we live as truly loyal Christians.

No comments: