Sunday, March 1, 2009

Inside-Out Life

Laws
Leviticus 26:1-27:34

"If you remember my laws and commands and obey them..." (Leviticus 26:3)

It starts on the inside, like everything. First, we must remember the commands, know them in our hearts and remember them in our minds. But then, that counts for nothing if we do not obey them. It's like that saying, "Actions speak louder than words." While words and thoughts are wonderful, if they are not backed up by actions, it's hard to believe that those words are really real... are really internalized... are really heartfelt. With kids, it's quite easy to see which of your own rules you are following, because they follow the physical example of what you do before paying attention to the verbal rules that they'd have to memorize. Lord, I always try to remember Your good laws that You have given me... but even more important... I want to obey these laws... as I live my life out my faith.

Ways
Proverbs 10:22-25

"A foolish person enjoys doing wrong, but a person with understanding enjoys doing what is wise." (Proverbs 10:23)

While Proverbs is loaded with wonderful helpful suggestions, I sometimes feel it is hard to really take it into account because of the highly generalized language. How are these "foolish people" and what wrongs are they doing? We only need to look at society... people who lie and cheat and hurt others in order to advance their prestige or power or authority or careers perhaps. Most often than not, this foolish person is just taking the easiest path, the quickest route to satisfaction. We choose the harder way, "the straight and narrow" as people like to call it. But Lord, I know there is wisdom in Your ways... and although the path may sometimes seem so difficult, I know that You watch over me. On the inside, I understand Your love and wisdom, and on the outside, I enjoy doing what You would have me do.

Cleanliness
Mark 7:1-23

"And Jesus said, 'The things that come out of people are the things that make them unclean. All these evil things begin inside people, in the mind: evil thoughts, sexual sins, stealing, murder, adultery, greed, evil actions, lying, doing sinful things, jealousy, speaking evil of others, pride, and foolish living. All these evil things come from inside and make people unclean." (Mark 7:20-23)

And here's the most famous inside-out verse. Jesus sets those Pharisees straight once again. The Pharisees with their meticulous laws focused on what went inside. Jesus shifts the paradigm to focus on what comes out of their mouths, their souls, their hearts, their minds. Sometimes I think we get caught up in the meticulous 'unspoken laws' of the Pharisees. Though our decrees are not about food or drink, although they are in some cases... we have these unspoken rules about what can be worn, what can be enjoyed, where one can go. These rules are more based on image than the real heart. While rules are fine, and can serve their purpose, these rules should not separate the kingdom of God... that should always remain united in Christian love. Independent of following societal rules, our lives should following God's paths of holiness and love and service (as pastor put it this morning). Lord, may I leave behind my concerns for the particular rules and focus on the paths You would have me take... as I follow out Your plans for my life.

No comments: