Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Promises

What We Promise to God
Numbers 5:1-6:27

"This is the teaching for the Nazirites who make a promise. Everyone who makes the Nazirite promise must give all of these gifts to the Lord. If they promise to do more, they must keep their promise according to the teaching of the Nazirites." (Numbers 6:21)

What we promise to God... this reminds me of one time that a pastor in a sermon told a story about a young man who came to a coffee shop every morning to meet a young lady. She never came, but he was there... waiting. The pastor said that this is like our quiet time with God... when we promise to make time with God in prayer or in study or in devotion, God is there. He is faithful. Isn't it time that we are faithful to our promises to Him. I also like the way this teaching makes it clear that there are certain promises that are necessary (belief in Jesus, adherence to His word, perhaps) but other promises are good... and we must keep them. What can we promise to the Lord today? What gifts can we offer to the one who has offered us absolutely everything? Lord, I give you my heart... my morning Bible reading and journaling, my prayers on my run, my short hourly prayer, and most importantly... my heart. Lord, I promise to be faithful with my promises, because You are so faithful in Yours.

What We Promise to Others
Proverbs 11:1-3

"The Lord hates dishonest scales, but he is pleased with honest weights. Pride leads only to shame; it is wise to be humble. Good people will be guided by honesty; dishonesty will destroy those who are not trustworthy." (Proverbs 11:1-3)

These three verses of Proverbs teach the importance of our promises to one another... honesty in what we do. The first reminds me of the old saying about the Brethren- that you "didn't have to weigh their grain." And the last verse reminds me of what guides our decision... honesty and loyalty in our promises... remaining true to what we have said. We are not guided by our own desires or wishes or wants, but Lord... we strive always to be guided by honest ways... telling the truth with our words and our lives. So, our words and our promises that we give to others must be true, so that others may trust our words when we tell them about You and Your promises.

What Jesus' Promises to Us

"Then Jesus called the crowd to him, along with his followers. he said, 'If people want to follow me, they must give up the things they want. They must be willing even to give up their lives to follow me. Those who want to save their lives will give up true life. But those who give up their lives for me and for the Good News will have true life.'" (Mark 8:34-36)

Ah, verse that I love. A challenging verse but filled with such a beautiful promise. Lord, I prayed this morning and I continue to pray that You will teach me about this "true life." Does it mean eternal life in heaven or a fullness of life here on earth lived out in Your presence? I feel, Lord, that it may mean both. And I feel that I have felt the beauty of life here on earth when I am living so close to You. I so much want to feel that again, Lord. I want to give up my own desires and leadings and wants, so that I may follow You and live true life. Whatever I want is nothing compared to what You promise to give me. I know this promise, for I have lived it... and I wait for Your call, Lord, and pray for Your guidance.

No comments: