Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Stubborn Streak

Few would believe it, but I do have a bit of a stubborn streak. I'll refuse to take medicine when I'm sick. I'll go on a 16 mile run in a cold rain/snow. I'll go pick up firewood in a Madrigal dress. And yes, like most of us I fear that I'm sometimes too stubborn to truly give myself over to God and heed His desires, not my own.

Too Stubborn to Serve
Deuteronomy 9:1-10:22

"Give yourselves completely to serving him, and do not be stubborn any longer." (Deuteronomy 10:16)

Those Israelites... they've forgotten the commandments again, and Moses has to plead with God to have mercy on this stubborn people who wouldn't give up their sinful ways. He threw himself down in front of God and prayed that God wouldn't destroy them. If that was the state of affairs then, I can only imagine what it must be now. The Lord must look down on the world and think... all those stubborn people! Don't they see? They're only hurting themselves and others with their sinful ways. Why don't they give up their malicious ways and follow me?

When we fall prey to stubbornness, we allow ourselves to believe the lie that we know. We know how to do things, we know what needs to be done, we've got it covered, we can do it ourselves. We have no need to humbly listen to the suggestions or viewpoints or advice of others. There is no openness. And without an openness to serve God, based on His ways, His plans, we are left out of the great joy of serving our God and Savior. Lord, please teach me to be open every day to serve You.

Too Stubborn to Speak
Luke 1:57-80

"Zechariah asked for a writing tablet and wrote 'His name is John,' and everyone was surprised. Immediately Zechariah could talk again, and he began praising God." (Luke 1:63-64)

Sometimes too stubborn to serve God, because we're wrapped up in the "me" theology. But sometimes we're too stubborn to serve God, because we're wrapped up in the "can't be" theology. Zechariah, different than Mary's response to virgin birth, was one of... "Sorry, Mr. Angel, you've got the wrong guy... try that young buck down the block. Might be him." Sounds similar to many in the Bible- Sarai who laughed, Moses who needed his little bro to speak for him, and so many more.

I admit I was there, too. I felt so small... to be sent to do so many big tasks for my youth group, for my church, for service projects. But, yes... it can be, because God is so great. It doesn't need to be you and your gifts, but God working through you... using and supplementing and granting even greater gifts to accomplish His work. And I know that I praise God (like Zechariah, when he finally understood God's power and accepted His will). I praise Him for what He has accomplished through me. I know that none of it- not a word I have spoken nor written nor a class that I have taught or a program overseen was me. So the next time we're called upon to serve God, we need to remember that it "can be." With God's help, the lame walk, the blind see, the virgin gives birth, the old man has a son, and the seemingly small Christian can do marvelous works for the kingdom with the help of the King of all.

No comments: