Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Unexpected Triumph

The Season
Jeremiah 15:1-16:21

"They will fight against you, but they will not defeat you, because I am with you." (Jeremiah 15:20)

"Undefeated" is something I think of more in terms of a winning basketball season, but as a Christian I have the blessing of being undefeated season after season. Sure I have my 'tough workouts' or 'difficult training sessions' or even 'close games'. But, "they" will not defeat me. Who is this "they"? Difficult to say- perhaps in today's society I'd be tempted to think that it's the temptation to follow 'false gods' (mentioned later in these verses) of money, power, ambition, etc. But, God is with me- what an awe-inspiring thought... so unimaginable that the Lord, Creator of the Universe is with me, on my side. Certainly I cannot be defeated.

The Coach
Psalm 118:22-24

"The stone that the builders rejected became the cornerstone." (Psalm 118:22)

Coming from the Keystone State, I know all about the importance of this cornerstone, which holds everything together. Referring to Christ's humble stature and the 'builders' or church founders' refusal to accept Him, I wonder whether this could also refer to ordinary Christians like me- to all those people that hadn't been accepted into the faith before Jesus came and radically invited them to follow. And the second part is just as sweet: "The Lord did this, and it is wonderful to us. This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad today!" (Psalm 118:23-24) Yes, today, Lord, I will praise you for your the triumph you brought out of the most humble of circumstances.

The Team
Proverbs 27:10

"Don't forget your friend or your parent's friend. Don't always go to your family for help when trouble comes. A neighbor close by is better than a family far away."

While this verse at first strikes a harsh discord with my love and appreciation for my family, I can understand its wisdom. If I never connect with my true neighbors, those who live right here with me, then I will never feel at home here. I will never be able to face my challenges here, but I'll run home instead. Honestly this has been a struggle for me here in AZ. Still facing a bit of cultural shock in the sharp contrast with the loving open-armed Brazilians, it's hard for me to build close, meaningful relationships where I feel comfortable and even encouraged to share my doubts, questions, concerns, hopes, dreams, "troubles". But, I'm so thankful as I see this change- as I grow a bit closer to my neighbors "close by," feeling that we're not just meeting up at planned scheduled times (fitting friendship around classwork) but actually enjoying the fellowship of each others company. Last night at Bible Study, we actually took the time to talk and pray about our "troubles"- listening to, caring for, and being with one another as neighbors and a family of sorts, while our families are so far away. Thank you, God, for the blessing of my spiritual team.

The Score
1 Thessalonians 2:1-16

"But we speak the Good News because God tested us and trusted us to do it. When we speak, we are not trying to please people, but God, who tests our hearts." (1 Thessalonians 2:5)

"The purpose", "the goal", "the prize"... in the context of society they are something completely different than my spiritual life. In Bible Studies, quiet time and church, when talking about the "prize", it is something heavenly, spiritual. Yet, when talking about "goals" (also purpose) at work or school or at those family gatherings, it tends to be something completely different. I guess that's why I'm having such a moment of questioning right now. I long to unite these two parts of my life... to understand God's purpose for my life. If I'm not trying to "please people", why am I here? What is God's purpose for my life? Does God want to use graduate studies in ELL to further His kingdom? How? If not, where should I be? This verse comes to mind, one of my favorites and that I need to remember the most: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourself" (Phillipians 2:3). Lord, help me to "test my heart" and know Your will for my life. Thank you for the opportunity to explore these questions next week at the VEV (Volunteers Exploring Vocation) Conference in Boston.

No comments: