Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Gifts: Water, Love, Advice, Community

Water
Jeremiah 13:1-14:22

"...They go to the wells, but they find no water. So they return with empty jars. They are ashamed and embarrassed and cover their heads in shame." (Jeremiah 14:3)

Water... how very important- something I am learning more and more here in Arizona. It may be getting cooler, but it seems to be getting dryer as well. And after biking back from the Community Food Bank this morning, there seemed to be nothing sweeter than a cool drink of water. Yet, so many people lack this precious gift that I so often take for granted. Lord, help me do my part to make sure my brothers and sisters can appreciate water to quench their thirst and water to quench their souls.

Life
Psalm 118:15-21

"I will not die, but live, and I will tell what the Lord has done." (Psalm 118:17)

Each and every day is a precious gift. I am alive today, Lord. Thank you! I can't help but remember the children of Campo Limpo who would thank God for "mais um dia de vida". I must thank you Lord, for every day is a gift. And I must thank you by living and telling all that You have done for me.

Advice
Proverbs 27:9

"The sweet smell of perfume and oils is pleasant, and so is good advice from a friend. (Proverbs 27:9)

I'm reminded of the sweet Bath and Body Works room fragrance that my parent's gave to me. I walk into my room, smile, and say, "Ah." I am greeted by the smell. "Cheiroso!"- my Brazilian friends would exclaim. Good advice is the same- sincere, sweet, kind, welcoming- and helpful.

Community of Believers
1 Thessalonians 1:1-10

"We continually thank God for all of you and mention you when we pray." (1 Thessalonians 1:2)

Another sweet gift that God has granted us is each other. I have come to thank the Lord more and more over the years for the blessing of a community of brothers and sisters to worship and praise the Lord and study the Word and live a life of service with me. And today is Bible Study day- thank you, God. It is so wonderful when we meet together with each other and with you. For this reason also I am so excited to go to Boston Sunday-Wednesday for the Volunteers Exploring Vocation conference. Thank you for your spirit that binds us together, just like the familiar old hymn: "Blessed be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love. The fellowship of kindred minds is like to that above."

No comments: