Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Amazing Grace

Defying Pride
Jeremiah 43:1-44:30

"Even to this day the people of Judah are still too proud. They have not learned to respect me or to follow my teachings. They have not obeyed the laws I gave you and your ancestors." (Jeremiah 44:10)

Oh those people of Judah. There they go again- worshiping and making offerings to some goddess. And we are told that they are too "proud" to respect and follow God. Reflecting on the Lord's awesome glory, I don't know how you can be "proud". Personally compared to God's goodness, holiness, mercy and perfection... I feel anything but proud, completely undeserving is more like it. Lord, blessed be Your name and Your miraculous unfathomable grace that You've granted an undeserving poor sinner such as myself.

Sweet Promises
Psalm 119:97-104

"Your promises are sweet to me, sweeter than honey in my mouth!" (Psalm 119:103)

The many references to food in the Bible and the specific reference to Jesus as the bread of life (as we studied last night in Bible Study) seem to give this verse special meaning. While we enjoy honey (energy-giving and sweet), it is the Lord and His abundant life-giving promises that give our life true joy and sweetness. What are these promises? Eternal life, life in abundance, joy, among many others. I need only look at a few passages to uncover enough 'sweet' miracles to develop a toothache!

Made Holy
2 Timothy 2:1-26

"In a large house there are not only things made of gold and silver, but also things made of wood and clay. Some things are used for special purposes, and others are made for ordinary jobs. All who make themselves clean from evil will be used for special purposes. They will be made holy, useful to the master, ready to do any good work." (2 Timothy 2:20-21)

I love these verses so much, as I seek to be of use to my heavenly Father. One of God's sweet promises is right here in this verse! If I live a pure life, God will make me holy and useful! I may not be made of gold or silver (made to run a non-profit organization or save peoples lives as an ER doctor), but even wood and clay are useful. God can use this broken clay bowl for "ordinary jobs," for "any good work." So, here I am, Lord... use me for whatever good work You choose. Be it helping a handicapped woman put her shoe on or offering someone something from the farmer's market. May my holiness and usefulness be ever glorifying to Your amazing grace!

No comments: