Saturday, October 25, 2008

Blessings

Obey
Jeremiah 35:1-36:32

"...If you obey me, you will live in the land I have given to you and your ancestors." (Jeremiah 35:15)

Just like the Recabite family, we will be blessed for our obedience. That family could not drink wine or plant vineyard or build houses but live in tents. I'm sure it wasn't always easy, like they were invited to a wedding... or when a storm came up. But, they continued. I pray that I may obey You always, Lord... so that I may some day reside in the land You have given us, Your kingdom.

Serve
Psalm 119:65-72

"You have done good things for your servant, as you have promised, Lord." (Psalm 119:65)

This reminds me of the verse, "Every good and perfect gift is from above..." (James 1:17). I have been showered with so many good and perfect gifts, so many amazing blessings- from the fresh sunrise of a new day this morning to the opportunities to travel and meet so many wonderful brothers and sisters... and so so many more. And I do not deserve this at all, but God has blessed me, as the Lord has promised. Now I want only to serve the Lord in gratitude for every good thing in my life, which is from God.

Train
1 Timothy 4:1-16

"...but train yourself to serve God. Training your body helps you in some ways, but serving God helps you in every way by bringing you blessings in this life and in the future life, too." (1 Timothy 4:7-8)

I just finished my morning run in training for my half marathon Nov. 2, so this verse holds particular meaning for me. I know what it is to seriously train- research different techniques and styles of training schedules, eat proper foods, follow the schedule every day, and put energy into each run. Similarly with training to serve God- find different ways to serve (in the community, outside), nourish your soul with the word, set apart a regular time with the Lord, and be present ("in spirit and in truth"- John 4:23) in this time with God. Anyone who's been a VSer (volunteer service worker) knows that serving is not easy... but I have been so blessed my the people I've worked with in every area of my life, and a part of them remains in my heart- a very real blessing in my future life, too.

No comments: