Friday, October 24, 2008

Friends and Family

Bride
Jeremiah 33:1-34:22

"There will be sounds of joy and gladness and the happy sounds of brides and bridegrooms..." (Jeremiah 33:11)

I love a good wedding... one where you have absolutely no doubts about the future love shared in the marriage of the beautiful couple. Family and close friends gather around with smiles of all, perhaps even in some way recognizing that this lovely tie is so likened to God's promise to love His church forever faithfully.

Friends
Psalm 119:57-64

"I am a friend to everyone who fears you, to anyone who obeys your orders." (Psalm 119:63)

After observing some Quaker traditions at the conference this week, I am reminded of the "Society of Friends" or "Friends Meeting". As I love language, I'm convinced that the language we use has a very real impact on the way we understand the world around us. What a beautiful thing, to have so many friends... bound together by God.

Family
1 Timothy 3:1-16

"That family is the church of the living God, the support and foundation of the truth." (1 Timothy 3:15)

Again, I just have to thank God for the immense blessing of my time in Boston this week and for the family that I encountered there. Although for a short time, this family (particularly my small group) of former volunteers supported and encouraged one another in such an awe inspiring way. Many people said it, but I have to concur that a group like that one gives me real hope for the future of our church family.

No comments: