Thursday, October 16, 2008

More Power to You

Powerful Promise
Jeremiah 17:1-18:23

"This is what the Lord says: 'A curse is placed on those who trust other people, who depend on humans for strength... They don't know about the good things God can give. But the person who trusts in the Lord will be blessed. The Lord will show him that he can be trusted. He will be strong, like a tree planted near water that sends its roots by a stream." (Jeremiah 17:5-8)

Tucson, AZ. I didn't expect the intense culture shock that I encountered here. A different environment, different people, different livelihood. After the 'honeymoon' period of cultural adaptation wore off, I've felt somewhat lost and alone here- and so far from home (meaning everything from Rofo to Lancaster to Boston to Brazil). But, when I'm alone, I keep reminding myself that this is a blessing. I need to thank God that I feel alone, not able to trust in anyone for strength but only in the Lord. I remember a friend once telling me that "Feeling alone is just God calling us back to His side." Here I am, Lord. Guide me to where You'd have me be- whether that is someplace else or here... I need Your strength.

Praising God's Power
Psalm 118:25-29
"Please, Lord, save us; please, Lord, give us success...You are my God, and I will thank you; you are my God, and I will praise your greatness." (Psalm 118:25-28)

There are two parts to these verses. First the call for help, and then the praise and thanksgiving. Lord, you have saved me with your power so many times! You have saved me from my own self-destructive nature, and I have only to thank you every day for the goodness that you shower upon me- each sunrise that I see, each morning run is the precious gift of a new day.

Powerful Guidance
Proverbs 27:11-12

"The wise see danger ahead and avoid it, but fools keep going and get into trouble." (Proverbs 27:12)

Lord, I am not wise- how I wish I were... wise or smart. All I am is ordinary, but even this is an extraordinary gift, because in my foolishness I rely on Your wisdom. Lord, guide me to where You would have me in this moment. I'm taking this time, especially next week at the conference, to discern Your will for my life right now. I don't want to "keep going and get into trouble". I long only to do Your will, O God. Lead me.

Powerful Prayer
1 Thessalonians 2:17-3:13

"May your hearts be made strong so that you will be holy and without fault before our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones." (1 Thessalonians 3:13)

Paul continually teaches me the importance of community and praying for one another. Praying for strength for our brothers and sisters. Strong hearts- not strong wallets (in the current economic climate) or legs (runners preparing for the 1/2 marathon ;o) or minds (intense grad students). Lord, grant all my brothers and sisters a powerful heart- strong and holy and set apart for You.

No comments: