Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Words, Words, Words

Words that Comfort
Ruth 1:1-2:23

"But Ruth said, 'Don't beg me to leave you or to stop following you. Where you go, I will go. Where you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. And where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. I ask the Lord to punish me terribly if I do not keep this promise: Not even death will separate us.'" (Ruth 1:16-17)

What a beautiful story! What beautiful words! What a beautiful promise! Listen to those words again, and think... if someone said those words to you, "Where you live, I will live," how would you feel? We don't even have this in families in today's society... kids grow up and move from parents... parents move away from kids... grandparents and cousins and other relatives are largely left out of the picture. Perhaps that's why I love to celebrate weddings so much. Truly beautiful marriage ceremonies celebrate the fact that two people are willing to make such a bold and courageous commitment- to stay together, no matter what, for better or for worse, even until death. Lord I thank You for the young couples that give me so much hope in their strong and loving words or commitment to one another... I pray that You guide them and give them strength as they begin a new part of their journey together.

Words that Bite
Psalm 52:1-7

"You think up evil plans. Your tongue is like a sharp razor, making up lies. You love wrong more than right and lies more than truth. You love words that bite and tongues that lie." (Psalm 52:2-4)

At first this verse seems nonsensical... for who loves lies? But, many people use lies to hide behind... they feel it keeps them safe from getting hurt. They don't need to really let people see who they are, a person, a mere human with frailties and struggles and missteps and poor actions. Lord, may I always have the truth and Your truth on my lips so that I may not deceive my brothers and sisters. Forgive me of my sin, Lord... I have been too unkind and unthoughtful. Teach me to love as we see in Your example and to love the truth always.

Words that Heal
Proverbs 15:4-5

"As a tree gives fruit, healing words give life, but dishonest words crush the spirit." (Proverbs 15:4)

Lord this morning I praise You! I praise You with all my heart, for You have poured such rich blessings upon me. I suppose sometimes in order to really really appreciate all the goodness You have given to me, I must see again how it would be without. But I praise You for such healing words that have renewed my soul... Lord, You are so good, so good to me. You have healed my broken heart, turned a frown into a smile, dried my tears and restored my soul.

Words that Praise
Luke 19:28-48

"...the whole crowd of followers began joyfully shouting praise to God for all the miracles they had seen. They said, 'God bless the king who comes in the name of the Lord! There is peace in heaven and glory to God!'" (Luke 19:37-38)

Praise be to You, oh Lord, for every good and wonderful gift... they all come from You! I praise You for the gift of friendship- dinners and surprise parties, I praise You for the opportunity to study and the opportunity to take a break from those studies, I praise You for a family I am so anxious to see once again and old friends who I also hope to reunite with soon, I praise You for a boyfriend who would be so amazing and supportive and loving to me, even when I don't deserve it, and I thank You for Your gift, for Your love, for Your son sent to save us all... I praise You for all of it, Lord, every day!

No comments: