Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Help for a Hectic Day

Beautiful Scripture to Help Me Through a Hectic Day

Lord, let me be faithful to you during this challenging day. Even when things are busy, let me remember that You are first. And with You in my heart, I can do all things... even a Dr. Troike exam! :o)

Holy
Joshua 3:1-5:1

"Then Joshua told the people, 'Make yourselves holy, because tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you.'" (Joshua 3:5)

Holy: set apart and different. Lord, teach me to handle the stress of the end of the semester with only the grace that You can give me.

Thirsty
Psalm 42:1-4

"As a deer thirsts for streams of water, so I thirst for you, God. I thirst for the living God. When can I go to meet with him?" (Psalm 42:1-2)

Thirst takes on a whole new meaning here in Arizona. Sometimes I drink a liter of water before even leaving the housing the morning! (Of course, that might have something to do with finishing my run, but it's still a lot of water.) After a day of fasting without food or water, the thing you want most is water. And I think it's no coincidence here that water is used and not food. The thing I want most in my live in all of my life in every day is You, oh God. May I remember this when the "to do" list gets in my way. I want to let you have me, lead me, guide me every day.

Endurance
Luke 9:1-17

"Late in the afternoon, the twelve apostles came to Jesus and said, 'Send the people away. They need to go to the towns and countryside around here and find places to sleep and something to eat, because no one lives in this place.'" (Luke 9:12)

I wonder what was behind this comment, if the apostles themselves were tired and hungry. After all, it was "late in the afternoon," and this was a culture where you sometimes need to talk around requests instead of requesting openly. Wouldn't the people go away of their own volition when they were tired and hungry enough? But, Jesus himself wasn't worried about becoming too tired or hungry, and He knew that He could provide enough for all. Out of a little, Jesus can make something great. And so it is with everything, Lord. Just a moment in Your presence, praying before You and reflecting on Your power and mercy provides for me- for my whole day. Thank You, Thank You.

No comments: