Thursday, April 23, 2009

Call & Response

The Bible clearly calls us to "ask and it shall be given" (Matthew 7:7). If our friends and family appreciate hearing our innermost desires, dreams, hopes, worries, concerns and struggles, our heavenly Father does so much more... a thing that continually amazes me. Lord, I am so small for you to value me so greatly. But the asking or the call is only one part of the conversation, there is the following response from God as He faithfully answers our prayers as well as our response to His faithfulness. I praise You Lord, my God who responds to even my call.

Jephthath
Call: Strength, Response: Promise
Judges 11:1-12:15

"Then the Spirit of the Lord entered Jephthah. Jephthah passed through Gilead and Manasseh and the city of Mizpah in Gilead to the land of the Ammonites. Jephthah made a promise to the Lord, saying, 'If you will hand over the Ammonites to me, I will give you as a burnt offering the first thing that comes out of my house to meet me when I return from the victory. It will be the Lord's....

When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, his daughter was the first one to come out to meet him, playing a tambourine and dancing. She was his only child; he ahd no other sons or daughters. When Jephthah saw his daughter, he tore his clothes to show his sorrow. He said, 'My daughter! You have made me so sad because I made a promise to the lord, and I cannot break it!'" (Judges 11:29-31, 34-35)

While it's certainly nothing out of the ordinary to read about someone calling out for help from the Bible, several parts of this story make it rather noteworthy. First of all, Jephthan was a strong soldier who was forced from his home, because literally he was "a brother from another mother." Those other brothers looked down on him, but when tough times came and the Ammonites started fighting, they called Jephthah to come to the rescue. He agreed, but on the condition that he would then be the leader of Gilead. So, this victory was no small thing for Jephthah. Not only did it mean protection for the people of Gilead but a redeemed place in society in his home.

God was faithful in providing Jephthah with victory, but when his only daughter was the first thing to enter his house, he cried out. What was he to do? He needed to be faithful to the Lord. Even more surprising than Jephthah's response of devotion was his daughter's response, "Father, you made a promise to the Lord. So do to me just what you promised, because the Lord helped you defeat your enemies, the Ammonites" (Judges 11:36). I wonder how young she was, this mature, faithful and obedient girl. I imagine she must've been quite young since girls tended to marry early in those days and we see that she wasn't married. In fact, she asked to go to the mountains with her friends and cry since she would never marry. (At least when the Bible was written, it mentions that this tradition was still practiced- for young women to go to the mountains for four days.) It seems tragic, and honestly I'm quite upset at Jephthah for making that silly promise. After all, did he think a goat would be the first to walk into his house? Why not offer up himself instead? But, his sincerity and commitment to the Lord are true, a response motivated by the Lord who listened to Him. And I have faith that Jephthah's daughter continues to dance and play the tambourine in our heavenly Father's kingdom.

God's Children
Call: Help, Response: Saved
Psalm 50:7-15

"Give an offering to show thanks to God. Give God Most High what you have promised. Call to me in times of trouble. I will save you, and you will honor me." (Psalm 50:14-15)

The juxtaposition of these two lines of the Psalm move me this morning as I reflect on how we are asked to give thanks to God, to give an offering to God of what we have promised. (Note to self: try not to promise the first thing to enter the door after a victory.) But this thanks and praise and giving are right before we are asked to call on God in times of trouble. To me, it seems that the Psalmist is recommending that all is done together. There doesn't seem to be a separation such as, "on other days" or "in other circumstances" or "or else." In good times and bad, we are welcomes to share deeply with the Lord, to call on Him for help but at the same time to praise Him for His blessings and give to Him our offerings, our hearts, our adoration.... for I know that He will save and honor us, as He has done through the gift of His son.

Apostles
Call: Faith, Response: Empowered
Luke 17:1-19

"The apostles said to the Lord, 'Give us more faith!' The Lord said, 'If your faith were the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, 'Dig yourself up and plant yourself in the sea,' and it would obey you." (Luke 17:5-6)

This morning I am encouraged by the words of the apostles. I usually reflect more upon Jesus' words as encouragement, but the apostles recognized that they needed more faith and had the courage and the wisdom to ask for it. Lord, I also recognize that sometimes I don't have enough faith- that things will turn out well, that I am capable of all things through You, but I pray... like the apostles... that You give me faith to move the mulberry tree, to move mountains, to move hearts toward You.

No comments: