Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Now You Need It, Now You Don't

Needed: Land
Joshua 17:1-18:28

"Zelophehad had no sons, but he had five daughters, named Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah. They went to Eleazar the priest and to Joshua son of Nun and all the leaders. They said, 'The Lord told Moses to give us land like the men received.' So Eleazar obeyed the Lord and gave the daughtes some land, just like the brothers of their father." (Joshua 17:3-4)

How interesting to read this story here... this short account that I don't remember reading. This must've been quite strange at the time... a group of women inheriting land. But, Eleazar is obedient to what God commanded. Yet it does call into question why God would've commanded this. It must've been a need, of special significance that someone in Zelophehad's family would have an inheritance... otherwise the girls would not have any family land to go to. In countless stories in the Bible, our Lord watches out for the oppressed, those who have no rights or not prestige in society... I can't help but imagine He must've been doing the same here.

Needed: Richness toward God
Luke 12:1-31

"But God said to him, 'Foolish man! Tonight your life will be taken from you. So who will get those things you have prepared for yourself?' This is how it will be for those who store up things for themselves and are not rich toward God." (Luke 12:20-21)

When I went to the conference in Indiana, one of our workshops was on a holistic reading of scripture, and we discussed this scripture and its reading in light of orthodoxy, orthoprxis and orthopathy:
Orthodoxy: God is the one to judge. Jesus rejects the call to decide between the brothers about the property. There is also a human tendency toward greed.
Orthopraxis: What do I do with my stuff? How can I beware of the accumulation of wealth?
Orthopathy: Our passion shouldn't be for material goods but for the Lord. Our trust should be in the Lord, and this should be shown through not having excess... not amassing wealth.

Needed: God's Kingdom
Luke 12:1-31

"But seek God's kingdom, and all your other needs will be met as well." (Luke 12:31)

This is a challenge as we go about living in a world where seeking God's kingdom is not the focus of the day, but I do feel so blessed when I am seeking those ends and I pray, God, that You continue to use me each day to build up Your kingdom, to do Your will, may it all be to Your glory.

Lord, as I lift up prayers of petition this morning, I also lift up a great many prayers of praise. I thank you for a loving family, wonderful and sweet friends who love You, an amazing boyfriend who is a blessing to me in every way, an opportunity to study and teach here, and a beautiful run this morning... enjoying the different wildflowers along the way. You have given me more than what I need, Lord... and I am so thankful for all of it.

No comments: