Monday, April 27, 2009

Pure, Gentle, Trustworthy

Pure
Psalm 51:10-19

"Create in me a pure heart, God, and make my spirit right again. Do not send me away from you or take your Holy Spirit away from me." (Psalm 51:1-2)

In church on Sunday the one thing that the pastor talked about was the importance of purity as a Christian value... something I greatly agree with. However, he mentioned purity mostly as physical cleanliness... while we do need to be clean on the outside... "who has washed needs only to was their feet." Jesus' washing of his disciples is more a symbol than a necessity for physical cleanliness. For me, purity runs deep... deep into the heart as this verse describes. Lord, make my spirit pure... "containing nothing that doesn't belong." My heart needs to be free of anger, jealousy, vanity... purely turned towards You and Your will... and Lord I seek only Your will for my life.

Gentle
Proverbs 15:1-3

"A gentle answer will calm a person's anger, but an unkind answer will cause more anger." (Proverbs 15:1)

Gentle and loving Lord, teach me in moments of fear and anger and anxiety to respond in a gentle and calm manner... to calm my own heart and soul, and that of others. It is so heart when something is so important, so deep, so real to answer in love in humility in meekness and in gentleness.

Trustworthy
Luke 19:1-27

"The king said to the servant, 'Excellent! You are a good servant. Since I can trust you with small things, I will let your rule over ten of my cities.'" (Luke 19:17)

Lord, I want to be faithful and always true to the commands that You have for me... large and small... when I have a stipend and when I have an income, when I have much responsibility and little. All of Your work is so important to me Lord.... and all I want is to serve You. I long to be this pure, gentle and trustworthy servant... all for Your glory, Lord.

No comments: