Friday, April 24, 2009

It Runs Deep

Deep Devotion
Judges 13:1-14:20

"Then Manoah's wife went to him and told him what had happened. She said, 'A man from God came to me. He looked like an angel from God; his appearance was frightening. I didn't ask him where he was from, and he didn't tell me his name. But he said to me, 'You will become pregnant and will have a son. Don't drink wine or beer or eat anything that is unclean, because the boy will be a Nazarite to God from his birth until the day of his death.''" (Judges 13:6-7)

Samson's birth is such an interesting story, but it starts out in a familiar way... Manoah is a man from the tribe of Dan and his wife is unable to have children, but an angel of God comes to his wife and promises a child. However, interestingly enough, Samson will be a Nazarite. According to answers.com, a Nazarite is "a Jew bound by a vow to leave their hair uncut, to abstain from wine and strong drink, and to practice extraordinary purity of life and devotion, the obligation being for life or a certain period of time." In Samson's case, it was evidently a lifelong commitment.

But I wish I had more examples of how Samson lived out that 'purity of life and devotion,' since there are some interesting stories right here in this reading. First of all, he tears apart a lion with his bear hands "as easily as tearing apart a young goat," which doesn't sound easy to me either. And then, he presents a riddle to some Philistinian people, and if they find the answer he'll give them 30 linen shirts. His first wife tricks tells them the answer, and Samson goes to the city of Ashkelon, kills 30 people and gives them those shirts. Hmm... I'm looking for the purity and devotion. Perhaps it is just in contrast to his first wife, who tricked him.

While I love the idea of purity and devotion... very pietist ideas, it's so very difficult to obtain. Dedication, loyal, and somehow something that comes from so deep in your heart. Lord, though I haven't taken an ascetic vow, teach me to be pure, to be devoted to You.

Deep Obedience
Psalm 50:16-23

"But God says to the wicked, 'Why do you talk about my laws? Why do you mention my agreement? You hate my teachings and turn your back on what I say.'" (Psalm 50:16-17)

How infuriating. Even worse than someone who doesn't follow your direction is the person that claims to uphold that, but turns around and does the opposite. It must be so frustrating to God how many of us speak His words and use His name but then turn around and do the opposite of His will. Lord, I pray that You guide me, as each day I grow to know You more and seek Your will, seek to know Your laws and Your wonderful ways.

Deep Within You
Luke 17:20-37

"Some of the Pharisees asked Jesus, 'When will the kingdom of God come?' Jesus answered, 'God's kingdom is coming, but not in a way that you will be able to see with your eyes. People will not say, 'Look here it is!' or 'There it is!' because God's kingdom is within you." (Luke 17:20-21)

Such an interesting and mysterious passage... and so so difficult for us to understand. Over and over, Jesus focuses on the unseen:

"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at." (1 Samuel 16:7).
"...blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." (John 20:29)
"The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." (John 3:8)
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." (Proverbs 31:30)

Yet, culture, society, people in general all send us clear messages that counter a belief in anything beyond the visible, the physical, the right here right now, I can 'see' that. You can hear it in phrases such as, "I see.", "Ya see?", and "I can see that." Jesus tries to get us to believe beyond what we can see... something so deep it's in our souls, only then can we accept Christ and be blessed by the Holy Spirit and the kingdom of God within us.

No comments: