Monday, May 31, 2010

Remembering

Today is an ideal day to think about 'remembering.' We remember those who died in war, and I remember with some sadness the instances of war... sadness for their death and the current social construct that allows us to kill off human life without understanding the families, communities, and so many lives affected by each and every loss. I remember one member of my father's family was drafted into military service, and he went, but refusing to carry a gun, he went onto the battle fields to carry injured soldiers back to the camp for medical treatment. I remember those who have served their country in alternative forms of service. I remember those who have died and the lives they led off the battlefield.

So much to remember, always a mixture of pleasant and bittersweet memories. In fact, in some ways, our memories are what tie us together. Last night, I enjoyed celebrating Sara (the bear)'s b-day riding rides on the boardwalk as we did as kids! The big ferris wheel, the tilt-a-whirl, the carousel. Sara had it exactly right. As we got on those carousel horses, the feel of the wooden horse beneath us, the sound of the music, it transported us back to those memories of so long ago, when everything seems so much bigger, so magical.

It's important to remember the good times, the bad times, the difficult times. And our collective Christian memories unite us to our belief in what God has done for us through the ages.


Remembering God's Faithfulness

11 Then Asa called to the LORD his God and said, "LORD, there is no one like you to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O LORD our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this vast army. O LORD, you are our God; do not let man prevail against you." -2 Chronicles 14:11

For instance, though I cringe at the stories of war in Chronicles, today I pondered Chronicles as a book. What would motivate the author to write of all these battles? And I believe if we look closely, the point is clear. It would've sufficed to list dates, sides, and outcomes, as accounted in many history books. However, the author writes what Asa said to the Lord. The accounts, their recorded memories serve not just to remind us of who won, but of who was with the army and who the army was with. The whole point of the story, then, is not the battle but also the remembering the power of the Lord and His faithfulness.


Remembering a Special Moment

1Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. 3Then Mary took about a pint[a] of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
4But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5"Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages.[b]" 6He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

7"Leave her alone," Jesus replied. " It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me." -John 12:1-8


This has been a helpful verse for me lately, because the wedding is hard for me to accept. It's hard for me to be the center of attention, to have a special expensive dress and shoes, to have a day where people would travel and participate and give so much... just for me. The outpouring of love, the support, the encouragement. I know it's said that "it's better to give than to receive," but I find it quite the opposite. It's hard for me to receive the many beautiful gifts that my friends and family are giving me on this special day.

But, like Jesus recognized, He would not "always" be with them. Nor will I "always" be a bride. Instead, these special preparations, these beautiful gifts serve as special 'perfume' that creates the most beautiful wedding aroma of love! One that I will remember forever.

No comments: