Monday, May 24, 2010

It's All in the Family

I've been thinking about family a lot lately... and by extenIn our pre-marital counseling sessions, Uncle Rod mentioned the critical role of the family in the spiritual development of the family. And in that way, I am so blessed to be marrying Brad. He will be such a wonderful spiritual leader for our children, as he has been for me. We currently have our own joint devotional time, but we look forward to planning a family worship each week, just like his family did for him.

But this is not a new thing. Other characters in the Bible recognized the important role of family in their faith... such as the examples that follow.


Preparing the Family

5 David said, "My son Solomon is young and inexperienced, and the house to be built for the LORD should be of great magnificence and fame and splendor in the sight of all the nations. Therefore I will make preparations for it." So David made extensive preparations before his death.

6 Then he called for his son Solomon and charged him to build a house for the LORD, the God of Israel. 7 David said to Solomon: "My son, I had it in my heart to build a house for the Name of the LORD my God. 8 But this word of the LORD came to me: 'You have shed much blood and have fought many wars. You are not to build a house for my Name, because you have shed much blood on the earth in my sight. 9 But you will have a son who will be a man of peace and rest, and I will give him rest from all his enemies on every side. His name will be Solomon, [a] and I will grant Israel peace and quiet during his reign. 10 He is the one who will build a house for my Name. He will be my son, and I will be his father. And I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever.'

11 "Now, my son, the LORD be with you, and may you have success and build the house of the LORD your God, as he said you would. 12 May the LORD give you discretion and understanding when he puts you in command over Israel, so that you may keep the law of the LORD your God. 13 Then you will have success if you are careful to observe the decrees and laws that the LORD gave Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged. -1 Chronicles 22:5-11


David shows that caring for your family's spiritual development involves careful preparations, explanations, and encouragement. Right now, there are a lot of preparations going on for the wedding. My church family has been preparing the sanctuary with lovely clean walls and areas and a beautiful rose garden among other things! And the new technology will help me to incorporate my cousin Jonathan and his talents into the wedding. My cousins and friends have already prepared a perfect shower for me, which so many loving friends attended... making it all the sweeter! Mom & Dad C are carefully preparing the rehearsal dinner: who will be there and how it will go. My musical friends and family are preparing their own wonderful original music to play for me! My parents are carefully preparing the food, the reception, the flowers, the dress etc. My Uncle Rod, Dad C, & Dick are preparing their parts in the message. These careful preparations are very special gifts to Brad and myself. The gift of time, care and consideration. Gifts that show their love for us. They are our family... and they prepare us for the holy commitment involved in the marriage ceremony, a commitment sealed by our Father in heaven.

These are all preparations for a marriage, but even if we are not celebrating a marriage... every step of our family life from a new baby to a move to a retirement... every step includes preparing ourselves and our hearts for our spiritual commitment to the Lord. How will we teach this baby to know and love the Lord? How will we use our retirement to honor our Father? How will we use this marriage to symbolize the love Jesus has for us? Prepare your family for the moment where you are... to make that a moment for the Lord.



Teaching Your Family

4Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37I know you are Abraham's descendants. Yet you are ready to kill me, because you have no room for my word. 38I am telling you what I have seen in the Father's presence, and you do what you have heard from your father.[b]"

39"Abraham is our father," they answered.

"If you were Abraham's children," said Jesus, "then you would[c] do the things Abraham did. 40As it is, you are determined to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things. 41You are doing the things your own father does."
"We are not illegitimate children," they protested. "The only Father we have is God himself."

42Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? 47He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God." -John 8:4-42


This passage reminds me of my conversation with Brad the other day, just after we had brought home our new rescued sheltie puppy, Shaya.

Bradley: wow! I'm a daddy!
me: :o)
Bradley: can you send me a picture?
i want to see if she takes after me or not ;)

We're always looking to see if kids take after their parents, and not just in appearance. Fathers often say to kids, "You're just like your mother." Mothers say, "You're just like your father." Unfortunately this is very often when they are upset with their kids and the traits they've picked up. But once in a while, it is used as a compliment. One of the most beautiful compliments I've ever received is when people tell me I remind them of my nana. I only wish I were more like her.

but it's true. So much of who we are is formed by our family. As Jesus says, "If God were your Father, you would love me." Who do you love? Who don't you love? What do you act like? Is the person you are pointing to your heavenly Father? Do you take after Him?

No comments: