Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Make Me a Servant

As a part of our wedding ceremony, Brad and I will be washing each other's feet, so I just happened to finish reading what Pastor Dick Shrekhise has prepared for us. And this morning's schedule ODB reading had me reflect even further upon the passage.

1It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love.

12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. 13"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. -John 13:1,12-15


What stood out to me this morning was the first verse, "Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love." Clearly, John saw Jesus' act of servitude as directly related to love... the full extent of love, even. And this morning I'm reminded how hard it is to serve one another in such a selfless way that it shows clearly the full extent of our love. After all, what is love if it is not expressed, not shown?

So every day we get a chance to love each other in humility, humbling ourselves before the metaphorical feet of our loved ones... maybe those stinky feet are laundry that needs to be done, ironing (yuck), taking out the trash, moving boxes and boxes and boxes to empty/fill an apartment. Perhaps it's going to one more basketball game or hearing another boring account of a morning run/workout routine. Love is listening to what you find absolutely ridiculous, because although it may seem like 'stinky, dirty feet' to you, you know it means the world to the one you love. It means loving and serving, even when this is the last thing you want to think about, even when you'd rather plan out your next 5 years to a T, even when it's not what you want... not even a bit.

For example, right now, before Brad has even returned from Brazil, we know that he might have to go back Aug 1-18. Now, this is just about the last thing I want to think about right now, but I know that this is so important to Brad's work, to his research, and I know that he needs this time there at this season of the year. All I can do is pray and trust that God will help everything to work out, that God will teach me how to help and support Brad even while he's far away.

This morning, I pray that God would help me, teach me to do what He has done, to show the full extent of my love to all my loved ones in making me a servant to their own interests, desires, needs, before my own.

No comments: