Monday, May 3, 2010

How Firm a Foundation: A Scripture to Build a Marriage Upon

Scriptural Foundation of Service & Humility

Do nothing from selfish or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. -Philippians 2:3-4

Yesterday Brad & I looked back over the Final Project in our marriage book and read a recommendation to "select a scripture verse that you will build upon as a foundation for your future marriage and family." It told of a couple who used Proverbs 3:3 and inscribed "kindness" and "truth" in their wedding rings as reminders for their special foundational scripture.

While I have many favorite verses that speak toward marriage, this Philippians verse is the one that came to my mind immediately. And Brad agreed. Perhaps this isn't so surprising, since we are choosing to wash each other's feet in our ceremony, our own personal wedding vow to each other... to serve one another, considering one another more highly than ourselves, putting the other first. And while I don't know if we will inscribe "humility" or "service" in our wedding rings, I know that we will write it on our hearts, always looking to Jesus as our example.


Humility & Service- The Least is the Greatest

24Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. 25Jesus said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. 26But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. 27For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. 28You are those who have stood by me in my trials. 29And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, 30so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.-Luke 22:24-30

If our example is Christ, and I believe there is no more beautiful example, then we can see a clear direction towards a life of humility and service. He spoke to his disciples warning them not to seek places of honor or call themselves great. In fact, Jesus came as a little baby in a manger not a palace. He came to Jerusalem on a humble donkey instead of a white stallion. And He came to serve the people.

I think this is also important in a marriage or any relationship for that matter. Sometimes our work, our dreams, our preferences seem so important. But if we constantly remember to serve one another, and consider one another more highly than ourselves... a husband's trip to Brazil is also important to us, a name change is also important to him. The two become one... one mind that cares about the desires, hopes, dreams of the other- serving those needs in love and humility.

And Brad is the perfect example of this. I've had an upset stomach lately, probably acid due to stress that often has negative effects on me. So last night when I had waited to long to put anything in my stomach, Brad ran to the store right away to get me some ginger and crackers in hopes to calm the pain. The pain went away, but even better was feeling so loved... appreciative the kind selfless service of my husband-to-be.

What is so beautiful is that when we don't seek places of honor, they are often bestowed upon us. Mom & Dad C have been serving God and working in ministry for many years now, and they are about to quietly move to a different part of their lives, a different type of ministry (for we are all ministers). Though they did not seek any honor or great place for themselves, the church recognized and honored their constant and faithful service to the church throughout the years.

No comments: