Saturday, May 1, 2010

Signs, Signs, Everywhere Signs

Signs are on my mind this morning, as I woke up to another 'dream.'

I heard a male voice clearly whisper my name into my right ear as I lay on my pillow. I turned my head to the left, and of course- nothing was there. But then, although I thought I heard footsteps, there was still no one in my room. I fell back asleep and the same whisper happened again.

This morning, I am reminded of Samuel and wish that I would've said, "Speak, Lord, for Your servant is listening." I wonder if God is trying to tell me something, and I wonder what that something is. And in these scriptures this morning, I don't 'hear' signs like that of Samuel and my whisper... instead, I 'see' signs. Both in Solomon as a king appointed by God and the parable of the end times, depict signs and something visible... Signs, signs, everywhere signs.


Sign of Wisdom

When the queen of Sheba heard about the fame of Solomon and his relation to the name of the LORD, she came to test him with hard questions. 2 Arriving at Jerusalem with a very great caravan—with camels carrying spices, large quantities of gold, and precious stones—she came to Solomon and talked with him about all that she had on her mind. 3 Solomon answered all her questions; nothing was too hard for the king to explain to her. 4 When the queen of Sheba saw all the wisdom of Solomon and the palace he had built, 5 the food on his table, the seating of his officials, the attending servants in their robes, his cupbearers, and the burnt offerings he made at [a] the temple of the LORD, she was overwhelmed.

6 She said to the king, "The report I heard in my own country about your
achievements and your wisdom is true. 7 But I did not believe these things until I came and saw with my own eyes. Indeed, not even half was told me; in wisdom and wealth you have far exceeded the report I heard. 8 How happy your men must be! How happy your officials, who continually stand before you and hear your wisdom! 9 Praise be to the LORD your God, who has delighted in you and placed you on the throne of Israel. Because of the LORD's eternal love for Israel, he has made you king, to maintain justice and righteousness." -1 Kings 10:1-9


Those in grad school are familiar with the 'written and oral comprehensive exams.' It might be likened to what we see the Queen of Sheba doing here. She heard about Solomon's great wisdom and came to test him. She 'did not believe these things until [she] saw them with [her] own eyes' [v.7]. In fact, perhaps that's the reason for the written and the oral... the oral comprehensives are in front of your committee, and they get to see whether 'your wisdom is true.' [v.6]

In fact, I really don't think it's all that dissimilar. Solomon's wisdom was a testimony to the fact that the Lord had appointed him to that position and given him abilities that suited him for that. God delighted in Solomon, blessing him with talents that he used to the glory of the Lord.

I pray that we might be the same in using the good gifts that God has given to us... that they may be signs of the Lord working through us. Whether those gifts are- wisdom, hospitality, generosity, encouragement, joy, hope, peace, love, creativity, or so many others- I pray that they may be signs that point to God, the giver of all good gifts, that all people may come like the Queen of Sheba and say, "Because of the Lord's eternal love for His children, He has made you ______ [teacher, mother, friend, minister, co-worker, father, sister, brother, etc].

And this is what I have been blessed to see in GCF this year. I am humbled by the privilege to be able to facilitate a Bible Study... and not just any bible study. Our group of Romans has continually lifted me up this year, reminding me of the beauty of Christian community and the many diverse and amazing gifts poured out onto each one of our group. I will miss them all this summer, but I will carry them in my heart.


Sign in Parables

29He told them this parable: "Look at the fig tree and all the trees. 30When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near. 31Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near. -Luke 21:29

No comments: