Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Your" Harvest

9 " 'When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. 10 Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God. -Leviticus 19:9-10

This morning again will be a short reflection on all that I read. Tomorrow marks the beginning of the advent season. I know many people do not observe Lent, but to me it is a special time of preparation for the season of Easter... a manner of practicing mindfulness, so I'll be following the Global Women's Project Calendar, as I did last year. http://globalwomensproject.wordpress.com/ (If you're interested, they send you a page through email for free each day.)

As I read these verses this morning, I was reminded of God's command not to reap to the very edges of the field. What does that mean in today's society? Not to reap to the very edges of the field?

I believe it means saving some extra room in the budget for your brother or sister who is in need, giving gifts and donations when necessary. I was moved by the response of so many when the earthquake struck Haiti. Although no one was planning on that need, many responded... with the gleanings from the edges of their field.

But, I believe it is more than just money. Leaving some flexible time in your schedule or making room for your friend or family or loved ones- it means dropping everything and giving what time and energy and love you can when anyone needs.

Still, I can't help but hear the call to respond to the poor and the alien among us. This Lenten season... let us open ourselves up to give more. We have been given so much, so the least we can do is give the gleanings of the harvest the Lord has given us.

This morning I continue to pray for Brent as he recovers from the explosion, Dad C as he recovers from surgery, Jon who needs some help with dental work, the Nunez who are discerning their place, Kara who is flying on her way to China, and Mrs. Scheueramann who is recovering from one surgery and has another at the end of this month. Lord, do Your will in all their lives... and guide us into this moment of Lent, focused on Your gracious gifts to us.

No comments: