Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Great Commission!

These days I'm more confused than ever. How can I be "sure" one week that grad school is the right place for me, and the following day someone says something and it seems all wrong? Today I feel like I'm somewhat lost in terms of where my life will lead next year, but I am hopeful that beyond the everyday work or studies that I may take part in, there is one purpose that I am given... a great purpose, the great commission:

18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." -Matthew 28:18-20

I know that this is my purpose, independent of what job I find myself in next year. I think the second part is often forgotten... teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. For me, this is where the importance of the new covenant comes into play. As we've been reading in Romans, it's not that the Old Covenant is obsolete... but it is given new meaning through the New Covenant, the grace and love given to us through Jesus' example of perfect love and radical forgiveness. That justice, mercy and forgiveness... all the things which Jesus preached... that is what we are to teach to the whole world.

And what a beautiful way to start Lent, reflecting on the beautiful Sunday the stone was rolled away and all of us were given new hope.

However, I have to admit my imperfection. This morning I am extremely anxious about my future, about where God wants me and about how I can be faithful to His call for my life. I'm confused, and searching. So this morning, I come, I ask, I seek, I knock... Lord take my life and lead it.

No comments: