Thursday, February 18, 2010

Worry-Be-Gone

Yes, I've been anxious these past few days. And I suppose I feel a bit guilty everyone says that this should be an exciting time for me. Well, if you look at the definition of exciting,

causing excitement: causing feelings of happiness and enthusiasm or nervousness and tension

Nervousness/tension are part of the definition. So perhaps these illustrious 'they' are acknowledging the meaning of excitement, but choosing the word with the more positive connotation.

But enough about words, let's talk about the way. How do we deal with feelings of worry and anxiety? For the atheist, I'll admit I have no idea. There are calming teas, yoga poses, music, books, but nothing seemed to ever work for me. But when I pray, when I take time away and can feel the presence of God in my heart, soul and mind, then I am renewed with a peace that passes understanding.

That's part of the reason for retreats, like the one my brother just went on recently. And I am sorely in need of such a time away... separate and holy to the Lord. This weekend, I pray for a Sunday of rest, of peace, of getting away to worship Him and allow Him to fill me again with His amazing peace.

3 " 'There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the LORD- Leviticus 23:3

Perhaps that is why God mentions the Sabbath so many times. And on other festival days as well, God commands that we do no "ordinary" work. There may be things we need to do, but the importance is to find time away... to find time to rest, to do something different and appreciate the gift of peace that God longs to place in our lives.

Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. —Psalm 62:8

Similarly, this beautiful Psalm asks us to go before Him and give Him all of our good and bad feelings, releasing the tension and anxiety. He longs to take it away from us. Go to the Lord this morning, because He is faithful to our every need.

Father, this morning I need You. I need the peace that only You can grant to me. Fill my life with the stillness and centering upon You. I praise You for that peace that I feel when I am close to You, and please forgive me for my heart that concentrates on things other than You. This day is Yours, Lord. Please guide me through it.

No comments: