Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Things Above

Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. —Colossians 3:2

As I read this verse in the ODB this morning, I was moved to think that perhaps this is the key to escaping a lot of my struggles with worry. It's been particularly tough these past couple of days. I even broke into 'night sweats' last night and kept "waking up" realizing that I was only half awake... my mind still spinning and working on problems, projects and decisions. I had to get up at one point, take a warm shower in hopes to release the tension and change out of my sweat-soaked clothes.

But there is a silver lining. This morning, during this quiet time, I turned on the Pandora Hymns 4 Worship, and I heard the calming familiar tune, "This is My Father's World." Tears filled my eyes as I remembered that "though the wrong seems often so strong, God is the ruler yet." Thank You, my dear Father... what a blessing to have a Father of this world who connects me to the promise of the next.


The Lord Above & His Radiance

29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. 30 When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him. 31 But Moses called to them; so Aaron and all the leaders of the community came back to him, and he spoke to them. 32 Afterward all the Israelites came near him, and he gave them all the commands the LORD had given him on Mount Sinai.
33 When Moses finished speaking to them, he put a veil over his face. 34 But whenever he entered the LORD's presence to speak with him, he removed the veil until he came out. And when he came out and told the Israelites what he had been commanded, 35 they saw that his face was radiant. Then Moses would put the veil back over his face until he went in to speak with the LORD. -Exodus 34:10-35


I love to think of these verses and how Moses' face became radiant... we can only imagine the radiance and holiness of our Lord God. I need to recognize that our God is so amazing and full of glory. Because when I do think about such things, I can't help but smile and rejoice in Him... my eyes fixed upon Him... upon the end goal.


Heaven Above as Angels

23That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24"Teacher," they said, "Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him. 25Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27Finally, the woman died. 28Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?"
29Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'[a]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

33When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching. -Matthew 22:22-33


"To death do us part." It's interesting to think of what this scripture means. Perhaps that's why it's so sad to think of the separation when your husband/wife dies. You are no longer married. But, I like to think of it another way. Only when we are in heaven as angels will we be able to be married to God and to each other... united in the way that we only get close to here on earth through heaven. Of course, I suppose we'll have to wait to find out what it is like, but as Brad reminds me, "If the earth is so beautiful, I know God made heaven even more amazing. I can't wait to see it."


Jesus Above All

41While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42"What do you think about the Christ[d]? Whose son is he?"
"The son of David," they replied.
43He said to them, "How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him 'Lord'? For he says,
44" 'The Lord said to my Lord:
"Sit at my right hand
until I put your enemies
under your feet." '[e] 45If then David calls him 'Lord,' how can he be his son?" 46No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions -Matthew 22:41-45


It was so difficult for everyone, and it's still difficult for many today, that Jesus although in the form of a human was God. The relationship between heaven and earth were crossed. This is the earth that our Father made, Jesus was God himself living here on earth, we live with the Spirit but we live on the earth in these earthly bodies. But, I'm so thankful that I have the hope of what is above... and I may think of that... praising my Father for His promises.

No comments: